air conditioner condensation line

Old 07-10-03, 07:26 PM
yankees
Visiting Guest
air conditioner condensation line

my air conditioner is located in the attic. My condensation line has been leaking through the ceiling & in a closet. What could be the cause & is this an expensive problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 09:10 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
Well yankee you need to get a flashlight and go take a look and see where it is leaking from. Start at the air handler in the attic and follow the drain pipe (it will most likely be white plastic though it may be copper) See if it is overflowing out of the unit or if the pipe is cracked. Generally this is a do it yourself item for sure.

Old 07-10-03, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
yankees

Ed G is probably correct.
When was the a/c last cleaned and serviced?

Old 07-11-03, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

Dont say how old this AC is. But you should have a drain pan under the unit to get any over flow from the unit and drain it out side so you can see the water comeing out. Code here calls for drain pipe from overflow pan under the unit to come out by a window or door way high up so you will see it. Could be dirt or low on freon also. If you see ice call a hvac tech

Old 07-12-03, 12:03 AM
yankees
Visiting Guest
condensation

Thanks guys! My a/c is probably about 16 yrs. old & has been neglected. I live in Vegas & its about 120 degrees. I do know that I have a drainage pipe to the outside. I think that it is a leak but I will look. Will let you know what I find.