Ruud heat pump

Old 07-11-03, 06:06 PM
bsauce
Visiting Guest
Ruud heat pump

I am replacing my heat pump but dont know what size this heat pump is can someone help????

Ruud UPCA-0425BS It is approximately 12 years old.
Thanx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ruud

It appears to be 42,000BTU/HR (or 3.5ton), Why are you replacing it?

Old 07-11-03, 06:48 PM
properly maintained

these units last longer.....as hvac01453 asks why are you replacing it? i see 15 yrs plus out of these units....if failure is caused by improper maintenance, get a service contract with the new installer.

Old 07-12-03, 01:59 AM
bsauce
Visiting Guest
Ruud

The unit is working fine just recharged the system, everything a-OK.
A 5 ton AC fell into my lap so I am not passing it up to get 3+ years out of this heat pump.
With my luck when it does go I will be paying top dollar.
Any idea how to tell the size of the coil. Was replaced
when furnace was installed. Can't find bill to check it.

Old 07-12-03, 07:44 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
It's probably matched to the outdoor section. If I understand correctly, you wnat to mate a 5 ton heat pump outdoor section to a 3.5 ton indoor air handler and coil? Very bad idea.

Old 07-12-03, 11:50 AM
Free unit...

Nothings free....The cost of modifications will more than double the final cost, not to out-do the operational cost difference between a 3.5 and a 5 ton....a penney wise, and a pound foolish!

Old 07-12-03, 04:02 PM
bsauce
Visiting Guest
I thank you all for your help. Now that the story is all twisted, lets set the record straight.... the unit that fell into my lap was not free, where you got that from is beyond me. I am replacing a 3.5 ton heat pump with a 5 ton ac unit.....and the coil is a 5 ton
so I don't know what you mean by modifications. confused: the size of the house calls for a 5 ton unit:

Old 07-12-03, 06:20 PM
A/C

All I can think of here is why would you take out a 3.5 AC and put in a 5 ton set up in the same home. Have you run a AC load on the home? That 5 ton should just start and stop all day long and boy the amp draw for that is going to cost you. The unit wont run long enough to get the humidity out of the home.Then you have to change all the duct work for the 5 ton AC and can the old blower handle this 5 ton coil?. Have fun. ED

Old 07-12-03, 06:59 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Well, I also interpreted "fell into my lap" as free. Thanks for clearing that up. Air conditioning SYSTEMS [not just equipment] are made of matching components. The equipment is matched to the heat loads and then the ductwork is sized according to the airflow requirements and the Extenal Static Pressure or ESP that the fan can produce. Ed is right, now you have a 5 ton cooling coil and outdoor unit, but you still have the 3.5 ton air handler AND ductwork sized for 3.5 tons. Also, the interconnecting Freon piping is sized for 3.5 tons and not 5 tons, so that will have to be replaced. It's your home and ultimately up to you, but there are lots of pitfalls. One other thing, the power requirement for the 5 ton equipment is greater than that of your 3.5 ton equipment. You will also have to upgrade the wiring, disconnects and circuit breakers. $$$

Old 07-13-03, 03:54 AM
bsauce
Visiting Guest
when the new furnace was installed everything was upgraded
with the future of a larger ac unit. If running a new freon line
is going to be that big a job to sweat a few pipes, I must
be nuts. As for the electric I have a new whip and am changing
the local disconnect box. The old and new have the same 230v,
1phase,60hz.
What other negative things do you have for me?

Old 07-13-03, 08:16 AM
too often we work with little or no details, and bigjohn, ed and hvac01453 are trying to help. the statements they make are facts. when upsizing the system there are many factors, as mentioned proper line size, blower capability (400 cfm/ton) and the most overlooked factor, ductwork. with a ductulator we can help you determine if what you have is sufficient. also, let us know your line size, model numbers of equipment, etc. as for the initial question of evap coil tonnage, you will have to locate the model number, it should have one, but not always.

sorry but i thought you got for free too!

Old 07-13-03, 09:07 AM
step one...

what are the dimentions of the supply plenum 12" BEFORE you come to the first take-off?

Old 07-13-03, 10:44 AM
AC cost

Boy you need about 400 sq " of duct to just come off the blower coil here with 5 ton. Then we have when it turns on , thats 60 amps at start hope you have more than 200 amp comeing to the home or else the lights can dim down on start up ED