AC condensation line

Old 07-12-03, 10:00 PM
Chet Knable
Visiting Guest
AC condensation line

Although I read posts regarding similar issues, I simply wanted to check if I am going about this the right way. My condensation line runs through the basement floor to the sump pump well. It continually clogs causing a good couple gallons of water to leak off of the AC unit in a day or two (in this hot, humid east coast weather). I have blown it out (with a blower fitted with an adaptor to fit the PVC line! ) only to have it reclog soon. Will the monthly bleach treatment really help? How much bleach do I use? Lastly, could my AC unit possibly not have an overflow pan? I can't find any sort of pan that might pull out at all, where would it be located? I would really appreciate your assistance, Chet

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-03, 10:47 PM
Chet Knable
Visiting Guest
Help ... I need help

Old 07-13-03, 06:08 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Yes, the bleach will help along with flushing the drain with your garden hose. The drain line is trapped, right? The condensate pan inside the a/c unit is part of the cooling coil asembly. You could try taking the front cover off and see if the drain pan needs cleaning or, if it's metal, maybe it's rusted thru?

Old 07-13-03, 07:36 AM
Chet Knable
Visiting Guest
I am not a total dope; however, Opening up the furnace unit, I cannot find a pan at all. Could it be above the area that opens up, as in the duct area which would have to be unscrewed?

Old 07-13-03, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
above the furnace

either inside the plenum or a factory made coil box sits the evap coil, and yes there is a pan there, this is where the drain runs out of. how old is the unit? are you sure the drain is clogging, or could the water possibly not all be making it to the drain? sound like a rusted pan very possibly. typically the pan sits right on top of the furnace, but to be more specific, we need more info.

Old 07-13-03, 08:16 AM
Chet Knable
Visiting Guest
It is a Trane XE 60, approximately 12-14 yrs. old. The water is making it to drain line, because it is full (runs out of the blow-out piece when I open it) and is not leaking after I blew it out. The problem is that it starts to leak (or get clogged up) within a few days perhaps. So the pan should be right where the PVC line comes out of the unit, correct? Appreciate your help,
Chet

Old 07-13-03, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sound like

your problem is the drain as you suspected. is it feasible to replace the line? there may be a lot of gunk on the sides of the pipe, you could even go with a 1 inch pipe, but that is generally not needed.

Old 07-13-03, 09:07 AM
Chet Knable
Visiting Guest
Thank you, at least I can concentrate on what I know is the problem, rather then questioning other parts of the system!