Ruud 5 year PM

Old 07-14-03, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ruud 5 year PM

Hello,

I have a Ruud central air conditioning unit which is about 5 years old. I am wondering what are some easy preventative maintenance tasks I could perform on this unit to keep it running smooth. If not, what are some of the things I should make sure my air conditioning company does to my unit.

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 09:48 AM
A/C

If you have a good company that checks it out they should take care of all the things. Do you change you air filter and see that it is clean. You can put a little clorox in the drain pan and drain line 1 or 2 times a year. Then there are the blower and fan motors. some have like little yellow plugs on them SOMETIMES. If so you can pull then and put some #10 oil in them. With the outdoor unit off you can wash it down with a hose at the start of the year. Dont blast it or you will bend the fins in it. Also at this time before you turn the AC on we tell people to go out and take a stick or something and just see if you can spin the fan there. Lots of times other sticks get in there and it cant turn also bugs can lock it up. Make sure all bushes around the outdoor unit are cut back 18" or more. And our #1 spray around the outdoor unit for bugs and ants 1 or 2 times a year. Boy do they like to get into the relays, contactors or short out a capacitor or two. ED

Old 07-14-03, 04:24 PM
and again

ed is right on. those units are great, one of mine is a ruud, expect 15 plus years life. #1 problem with them is the outdoor coil getting dirty on the side that is uncovered by removing the cover. for some reason, the open space around the compressor gets dirty first and fast, must be some kind of "vortex" allowing that side to get dirty. regardless, a condenser coil cleaning will be needed to ensure proper cooling on these units.