Sound coming from condensate under sink

Old 07-15-03, 02:39 PM
M
meyerj
Visiting Guest
Cool Sound coming from condensate under sink

We are experiencing a gurgling sound coming from under the sink where the condensate drain ties into the sink drain, when the AC unit is on. The condensate line joins the sink drain about 1 inch above the start of the sink trap. After looking in the attic, the condensate drain that goes down the wall and to the sink, has a T pipe fitting installed and you can hear water flowing thru the T joint when the AC is running.

I assume the noise is coming from the air trapped inside the condensate pipe when its forced into the water inside the sink trap. What can I do to remedy this sound?

Jonathan

PS. The AC is about 1 year old and working nicely, its just the sound coming from the sink that's driving us crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i would

pour bleach into the tee then cap it. you may hearing air being pulled back through the drain. a cap will eliminate the noise.

Old 07-15-03, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
hvac4u is right. Air is being drawn through drain.
You need a trap on the drain line at the air handler to prevent the noise.
Not only is noise a problem, the lack of a trap could cause the drain pan to overflow if the air filter became plugged.

Old 07-17-03, 08:46 AM
M
meyerj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for you input, I will put a cap on the T and see if that eliminates the noise. If not, I'll let you all know.

Old 08-01-03, 02:27 PM
M
meyerj
Visiting Guest
Well, after a slight delay, I was able apply the described fix. Behold, the sound has since stopped. Thanks guys!