Deciding on a Central Air system

Old 07-16-03, 06:18 PM
gjinx
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Deciding on a Central Air system

Please help, I need the advice of the trusted community!!

I have six quotes on new central air (none existing) and a new furnace. I finally have drilled it down to about three different quotes and I'll leave the SEER discussion out of it since I'm definitely going with 10-12 for my climate (Cleveland, OH).

My concern is the difference in: brand name, BTU rating, single vs dual stage and 80 or 90+ rating.

1st quote - Lennox 2.5ton AND anything between a 80+ single to a 90+ 2 stage, 80000btu furnace. Lennox has the good housekeeping seal of approval and could be the most costly.

2nd quote- Rheem 3 ton AND a 92.5 efficient, 2 stage 75000btu furnace or a 80+ 2 stage furnace for $300 less.

3rd quote-Comfortmaker 3 ton AND a 100,000btu furnace in single or 2 stage (80 and 90 efficiency). Did they quote a larger furnace to make sure air is pushed to the top floor.

My house has four levels (Split) so naturally I'm concerned with AC getting to the top floor. Thanks in advance to any and all who participate. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Old 07-17-03, 11:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
BIDS

Did any of them show you a heat loss for the home?Is this a replacement job. Is all the duct work in or do you have to put new in? Is there a trane hvac there, could look at their V/S blower for the home you said four levels it should work good there for you. The 80% dont have as much junk on them as the 92% My .02 cents. ED

Old 07-17-03, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
another dos centavos

i like rheem for its low price and long life when properly serviced. i understand the a/c is a new install, but is there an existing furnace and ductwork? the top floor will not need as much heat as a/c, and if it works fine now (assuming you have furnace and duct now) that is no indication of how it will cool. as ed said, be sure a heat study is done and all airflow problems to be handled by the contractor in the contract.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: