air handler starts and stops

Old 07-16-03, 08:58 PM
slimmpd
Visiting Guest
air handler starts and stops

Tonight I noticed that I had a low freq noise comming from my return vent downstairs. I pulled the filter off (dirty) and listened carefully. The air handler would come on for about 30 to 45 seconds and then turn off. It would stay off for about 20 to 30 seconds and then turn itself back on and start blowing cool air. Then it would start the start, stop thing again. This has been going on for the last 45 minutes. I just turned the unit off. I did not replace the filter due to being out of them at the time.

Whats going here?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your fan motor may be cutting in and out on internal overload due to lack of airflow from the dirty filter. Let it cool down for a while then restart. Don't put the dirty filter back in, put in a clean one. If it has been more than a year it's time for a professional cleaning and check-up.

Old 07-19-03, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is a direct drive blower, the run capacitor may be defective. It will make the motor noisy and it will overheat. It could also be the motor bearings. The capacitor is relatively easy and the motor replacement is a little more difficult. If you are not too handy, let a tech fix it for you.

Old 07-20-03, 04:18 PM
slimmpd
Visiting Guest
It was the computer board in the air handler unit. $125.00 to fix.

Old 07-21-03, 03:10 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
They replaced the board? Don't lose that guys phone number. That job usually goes for twice that.