Heat Pump Expansion Valve/ Check Valve Stuck!

Old 07-17-03, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Expansion Valve/ Check Valve Stuck!

My heat pump a/c unit has a "stuck" expansion/check valve which is not allowing an adequate flow of refrigrant into the coils. The valve has frost around it.

Is there any way to "unstick" the valve without replacing it?
I did gentle tap on the valve; with no luck.

Thnaks; AP

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 05:34 PM
unfortunately

probably not. unless the problem is that the coil is weak, and it can be replaced (most snap in) you will have to replace the reversing valve itself. not a diy item for sure. are you sure it is the valve? what symptoms do you have beside frosting up?

Old 07-17-03, 06:06 PM
A/C

lost here. Do you mean the TXV expansion valve at the A coil inside or the reversing valve in the outside unit?

Old 07-17-03, 06:25 PM
i am under the impression

he is referring to the reversing valve outside, but like many posts, we need more info.

Old 07-17-03, 08:11 PM
Not The Reversing Valve

The reversing valve is actually working properly; this is the check valve just before the pipes go into the coils; it has a sensing mechanism on it as well; I believe it regulate the amount of refrigerant entering the coils.

The coils are clean and the system if fully charged; so I believe this is the only obstruction to the flow of refrigerant.

Old 07-18-03, 10:56 AM
A/C

Have you tried it over on heat for just a short time and see if it works right that way. I take it you have a TXV valve there at the A coil and a check valve for when your on heat. or is this in the outside unit?Try it on heat and then back to AC let it set for 5 min from heat to cool and see if this helps or if its the txv valve is bad. No one has worked on this unit or put gauges on it that they could have let some contamination in have they?. This will screw up the txv valve or check valve. Let us know what happens here. How do you know its has a full charge????????? ED

Old 07-18-03, 07:28 PM
whoever said it had a full charge, and could not tell you why you were freezing up, is not someone i would have over again. if what you are asking is can it be fixed if indeed this is the problem, the answer is yes.... have yet to see a check valve with wires...get a pro out there for sure, please

Old 07-18-03, 08:11 PM
check valve

there are several ways a heatr pump can prevent the refrigerant flow in a certain direction like when the system reverses it may use a solenoid valve as a check, if it has a fixed orifice it slides in a small chamber and reseats when it reverses, another usues a steel ball bearing in a tube and to check it, you use a magnet to move it. I think your restriction MAY be moisture, to test this, wrap a hot rag around the frosting point, if it temporarily works again even for a short time , you have moisture in the system and need a cleanup filter. Before anyone troubleshoots it, you need to put some gauges on it. Is there a filter drier on the system?

Old 01-17-14, 03:09 PM
Heat pump

I have 1 1/2 ton trane heat pump. It will only work in cool mode on tstat, and turned down for heat pump to work. Heating mode on tstat unit will not come on. Any suggestions I am to familiar with this type of system