Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

RE: air handler in attic, why the excessive leakage into back up system/drip pan?

RE: air handler in attic, why the excessive leakage into back up system/drip pan?

Old 07-18-03, 04:02 PM
Jules
Visiting Guest

I asked in a previous post about my leaky drip pan that is placed under my air handler. I got some good replies, which led to why is my air handler leaking in the first place. Good question.

I know the drip pan is a back up but I cannot remember if there had been water in it before. I attributed the extra water in the drip pan to the very humid weather we have been experiencing. Shows what I know.

I did check if the pvc line coming out of the air handler was clear and it is. I also checked the drip pan pvc line and it is clear as well.

So what might cause this - so much water to fall in the drip pan? Any ideas?

Too, we will remove the drip pan, since in a previous post I said the drip pan was leaky and will be replacing it. How do I lift that air handler?

It has doubly stacked two by fours placed under three areas beneath it.

Should I joist it, jack it up or get two men to help? How heavy do these air handlers tend to be?

Thanks again.

Old 07-18-03, 05:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

Lot of way to do this but you dont want to move it around a lot.
So think about this get 6 --3/8 all thread as long as you need. hang then from the rafters down close to the unit 2 on each side at the front 2 on each side at the back end and the other 2 on each side in the middle. Now get 3---1 1/2"X 1 1/2" angles say the with of the unit +4". drill holes in them to fit the all thread rods. put the angles under the unit , nuts on the rods and take it up slow and level till you can get the wood and pan out. this way you wont bend any lines or duct work and you can do this by yourself slow and easy. Did you look at your coil there is it clean??? could you be low on freon and you have been freezeing up and that did the water bit on you. is the drain pan there at the coil clean. Do you have a trap there on the drain line it clean. ED

Old 07-18-03, 07:38 PM
H
To trap, or not to trap???

Cut the drain line near the unit, does water come out? Is it sucking air or blowing air? If it sucks air, your never gonna get it to drain without a trap, except when the fan shuts off ....wash the coil down, level the unit too. Make two trapeeze's as mentioned, but make sure you can access the panels too! The threaded rods will need a 3/8"side beam hanger for 3/8"threaded rod. If you can't get the rod make it out of a light chain with hooks, aand a turnbuckle.... the air handler is not that heavy.

Old 07-18-03, 07:43 PM
H
Some unit

will have 1/4" threaded rod connections on the top side, you should check this first...it eliminates the trapeeze obstacle that gets in the way sometimes. Then use the 1/4" eye bolts on top with chain and hooks, use your imagination to support it from above...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: