Trying to save money with AC

Old 07-20-03, 05:15 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Trying to save money with AC

I am leaving the AC off from 2pm to 11pm I am not home since I work 2nd shift then I turn it on at 11pm Will I save money by doing this or should I leave it on all day? It takes about 40 minutes to cool down the home when I turn it on at 11pm. I am guessing it would kick on and off alot of times between 2pm and 11pm. and would it just be cheaper to run the moter 40-45 minutes straight? During the heat of the day it hits about 95 I live in the midwest.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 08:03 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
I am no expert in this matter, but I can give you my opinion. Im sure a pro will be around soon to either tell me, im incorrect or back me up. I think it may use more power to cool your house when you are home, as the ac is working hard to "catch"back up to the desired temp, What you might want to do is invest in a digital programmable Tstat, and say if you leave your ac at 75 when you are home, set it at a higher temp while you are out. If the ac cycles when you are away, it keeps the upperhand on the humidity in the house.You could set it to return back to the desired temp at a set time before you even get home, so the house is comfy for you when you arive home from work. Like I said these are my opinions and I to am looking forward to a professional answer.

Old 07-20-03, 08:24 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
saving money

I didn't state my question right that is what I do I set my AC at 80 when I am home and 88 when I am at work. Is that to great of a temp. spread?

Old 07-21-03, 06:44 AM
CampyGuy
Visiting Guest
i'm not a pro either, i did work in AC control for a while, but that was in computer room applications, where precise temp and humidity control was more important than cost. but anyway here goes:

i don't think the theory that it takes more enerry to "catch up" from lettting the temp get really high is correct.

The a/c coil is a pretty fixed temperature, say it's 35 or 40 degrees, the rate at which it removes energy, and therefor it's efficiency depends on the difference between the inlet air and the coil surface temp, as the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature difference. basically while the ac is recovering from the setback, making your house comfortable again it's more efficent.

personally i turn mine off completly while i'm out and use the programmable stat to bring it up a few degrees at night.

Old 07-21-03, 10:22 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
AC

How long do you leave AC off for at a time? The other day I came home it took the AC two hours to catch up. I do not know if I as saving money?

Old 07-22-03, 05:13 AM
CampyGuy
Visiting Guest
i leave it off for about 8-9 hours at a time, durring the day (lately it's gotten up to the low to mid 90s, i'm mainly trying to dehumidify). i'm not really sure how warm it gets durring the day though. my house was built durring the gas crisis, and the home inspector when i bought it said he'd never seen so much insulation.

not knowing how hot it gets in your house versus how hot it is outside, it sounds like maybe turning it off isn't such a great idea. i was saying that it doesn't take more energy to cool off from a high temperature than it does to maintain a comfortable temp with the same outside air conditions.
i think you are probably using less energy that way, it's just a matter of putting up with the recovery time. as someoen else pointed out, a programmable stat with setbacks could start the cooldown before you got home.