Choosing A/C, Heat, Brand, Contractors

Old 07-20-03, 04:55 PM
SalG
Visiting Guest
Need help re: new A/C-Heater and Contractor

Ok, I've been reading around on the old posts regarding a/c heat units. I'm not very knowledgeable but I'm trying.

What I seem to be finding regarding brands is that Janitrol, Goodman, Amana and some others are NOT AT ALL recommended. Trane seems to be the favorite. Lennox also. And maybe Bryant (when installed properly). Agree?

Over and over I read that having a good "heating/cooling load calculation and evaluation of the existing ductwork, insulation, doors, windows, etc." is very important. One post says you can go to www.hvaccomputer.com and buy a program like the pros use for $39 and do it yourself. Your thoughts?

Someone else said, "you generally would want a good warranty, 5 yrs on parts, 10 on compressor, a maintenance agreement for at least one year free, and no additional charges on top of the quote you originally recieve." Agree?

Having a reliable, quality contractor seems to be one of the biggest recommendations. I don't really know anyone who has had a their units replaced recently so I don't have any referral resources. How do I go about finding a reputable contractor? We live in the Dallas area so there are lots of contractors to choose from. Or maybe someone lives here also and can recommend?

When the time comes, we will be replacing both the heat and A/C units. The house is not quite 1400 sq feet (+we may add a patio room in the future). One story. I believe there is a need for more insulation and ventilation in the attic to assist in maximizing A/C efficiency. A/C is of major importance here in N. Texas and we like a cool house. Our current unit is old but still running (crossing my fingers that we make it through the summer). It seems to run a lot and for long periods, though. We drop the temperature at night and it may run for 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drop several degrees. Is that way off base or is it because we are fluctuating the temperature range too much?

Thanks in advance for your input, advice, recommendations... whatever you can share. I'm trying to be somewhat prepared in case it all falls apart one hot day soon. I love this website because I feel like I get real information rather than just what someone wants me to believe in order to sell me their product or service.

Thanks again.

Last edited by SalG; 07-23-03 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-23-03, 07:55 PM
SalG
Visiting Guest
I'm hoping by moving my post back up the list, maybe somebody will see it and have some input for me.

Old 07-24-03, 10:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you are pretty much on target...

download that program yourself so you know what you need, don't just take a contractor's word for it.
i personally like rheem/ruud, due to long life and inexpensive cost.
amana is actuslly pretty good stuff, it is just that they are owned by goodman that tarnishes their image. many of their units have 10 yrs compressor and coil.
bryant is payne is carrier.
use somebody who has been around a long time, hard to do poor work yet last for years in most places.

Old 07-24-03, 01:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

You said the AC was running. I think first work on the attic and see if it is vented right and you have the right amount of insulation in the home then go for the new AC and make sure they run a ac load. Call the BBB and ask them who has been around for a longtime. hvac4u likes rheem I like trane BUT what ever we would put in, it will work cause we would make sure it did work. Thats what you want to look for in a HVAC company. ED

Old 07-27-03, 04:30 PM
designer
Visiting Guest
The $39.95 software doesn't accept enough detail to give you an accurate heat loss/gain. It would probably confuse you also!
The four biggies who make almost the best equipment or someone elses are American Standard, Carrier, Lennox and York.
You'll be safe with any of these but, check warranties, efficiencies and most of all get good solid references on your installing contractor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: