What constitutes *good* duct work?

Old 07-21-03, 11:49 AM
curtis_strain
Visiting Guest
What constitutes *good* duct work?

I'm doing research for a full replacement of my heat pump system including condenser, air handler and replacing all the duct work. I've done my research on the condenser and air handler, but I can't seem to find much info. on what to ask contractors about the duct work. Can anyone clue me in on what to look for and ask about? I have a flat roof house (common here in AZ), it's about 2400 square feet. Thanks.

Old 07-21-03, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
curtis_strain:

Good ductwork is when enough air is delivered to each area of your home to fully satisfy your heating and cooling requirements.
It should also do this quietly.

The proper way to do it is to have a full heating/cooling load calculation done which will give you both loads for each room as well as air requirements.
If you are getting estimates ask to see the calculations.

It is also adviseable to have one contractor do the whole job to eliminate finger pointing if something goes wrong.

If you want to try this yourself there is a homeowner trial version of a pro calculator available for fifty bucks:
http://www.hvac-calc.com/main.asp

Old 07-28-03, 12:29 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GregH
curtis_strain:

Good ductwork is when enough air is delivered to each area of your home to fully satisfy your heating and cooling requirements.
It should also do this quietly.

It should also be sealed and leak tested during construction. Duct air leakage is a huge energy waste.

A great contractor will guarnatee comfort in every room and will include air balancing dampers and grilles to reach this goal.

Old 07-28-03, 12:56 PM
Raven7771
Visiting Guest
Cool

Since you are replacing the duct work you might want to consider using galvinized hard pipe with insulation. It will not fall apart (if installed correctly) and will outlast flex and ductboard. Disadvantage of flex duct is the resistance to cfm airflow is greater than hardpipe and ductboard over a period of time will flake off and be blown thruout the house. I don't think you want to breath that stuff and you will eventually will.

ps: you also might consider insulating the return duct to for maximum effeciency.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: