Heat Pump won't come on all the time

Old 07-22-03, 09:51 AM
cfs8642
Visiting Guest
Heat Pump won't come on all the time

I have a heat pump that won't come on unless I slide the temp control up and down real fast a couple of times. It then comes on and starts cooling but once it reaches temperature and cuts off it won't come back on again unless I do the same thing again. Any ideas as to what may be the problem. I replaced the thermostat and it didn't help.
Thanks
Ed

Old 07-22-03, 05:55 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
A possibility if you have an older unit:

You need to give us information about your unit: Model #, Age, Size, Type (AC, HP, Cooling only, package unit or split. etc.

Some older units have a lockout circuit that prevents operation after a safety device shuts it off for some reason. The reset is to turn the stat off and on or turn the power off and on. Next time try turning the power off and on to see if that will restore operation.

Old 07-23-03, 08:19 AM
cfs8642
Visiting Guest
GE Heat Pump

It's a GE Heat/AC unit. About 20 years old. 2 ton. Don't have model # but will get it tonight. I have 2 of these, heat/AC units, one for the downstairs & one for the upstairs. The one in trouble is for the upstairs.

Old 07-24-03, 02:29 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
wiring

Go outside and see if the voltage is zero between the red to yellow low voltage wiring....it should be,... (when in the on position)

Old 07-28-03, 12:21 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
GE never used a lockout circuit. I realy don't know what you will find the problem to be. I have seen mercury bulbs in stats act erraticly because the bulb was cracked and the mercury was oxidized. Have you found the problem yet?

Old 07-28-03, 09:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
A/C

You said if you play with the tstat up and down it comes on. Have you looked at the contactor in the outdoor unit sounds like you could have bad points there or bugs in it. ED

Old 07-28-03, 12:41 PM
cfs8642
Visiting Guest
Sorry. it's a TRANE

Sorry, the heat pump is a TRANE model # TWR024c100a1. I think this number is correct as it very hard to read the numbers. Where will I find the contactor in the outdoor unit? Thanks for all of the help.

Old 07-28-03, 01:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
A/C

Turn the power off before you go in there if you dont know electric. There should be like a service panel there above where the copper lines come out of the unit That is where you have to go. Some of the old ones you have to take the top off with the fan in it to get to them.Look around where the wires go in ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: