AC question

Old 07-22-03, 05:45 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC question

The switch on my ac has bit the dust. Sleeve mounted AC, white westinghouse 8,000 btu I figured out which wires control which and have used a alligator clip for the past few months. Here is what I've found, gray is hot, gray orange runs the fan, gray blue and yellow runs the ac on low cool. Today I got a 4" box with cover and two single pole switches. I added two wires to the gray(hot) ran one to each switch. Put a gray and orange on one switch and gray and blue and yellow on the other. The ac works fine but when I shut off the air the fan doesn't come on> any thoughts. Thanks

Old 07-23-03, 10:10 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Why not just buy a new rotary switch at an appliance parts store? They're not expensive. You could probably find it online. Otherwise can you post a readable pic of the wiring diagram?

Old 07-23-03, 12:15 PM
E
John I have no wiring diagram and the switch from WW is 43 +shippin+ tax. It seems easy enough and if I use alligator clips it runs fine. With the switches hooked up the fan doesn't run but the ac does.

Old 07-23-03, 03:27 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
If I understand correctly both the orange and the blue go to the fan motor and the yellow goes to the thermostat? [IOW- you don't have a gray orange or gray blue wire, what you mean is whne you jumper grey to orange and jumper grey to blue, is that correct?] If you turned on both switches you may have brought on 2 speeds at once which will fry the motor. Do I understand correctly that now only the compressor works and not the fan motor? What happens if you just turn on the switch with the hot, blue and yellow? Does the rotary switch have hi cool, low cool positions?

Old 07-23-03, 06:03 PM
E
Bigjohn, Heres the wiring scenario I have 5 wires, 1 is not being used, which is the high cool wire. The thermostat switch is a different switch altogether and it is no in this equasion, it's working
Gray is hot
Orange is the fan
Blue and yellow run the ac on low

I have 2 switches

Gray and orange go to one

The gray is looped from switch one to switch two

Gray and blue/yellow is on switch 2

Both switches are good and when in the off position for the ac the fan does not come on.

If I disconnect from the switch and splic gray and orange with an alligator clip the fan works.

If I disconnect from the switch and splice gray and yellow/blue together the ac works.

Only when the two swiches are used does the fan not work. Is there some special property of an ac switch that is keeping this from working? I am baffeled. This should be a simple job. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: