Central AC running, not cooling very well

Old 07-24-03, 05:19 PM
goongrass
Visiting Guest
Central AC running, not cooling very well

This afternoon I noticed my house was hot...checked the thermostat and it was at 85, though it was set at 78. I could hear the unit running outside, but the fan wasn't blowing inside. The fan started running again soon afterward, but even after three hours, it has only managed to cool the house to 82 (it's still set on 78). The system has run almost non-stop all afternoon. Could this be a low freon problem? Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-03, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

Have you looked at the air filters??????? any ice at the coil or on the big line??Is the inside fan till running?Could be low on freon Could be a lot of things . ED

Old 07-24-03, 05:51 PM
goongrass
Visiting Guest
Inside fan runs when on manual or when outside fan is running. No ice on the big line. Air filter replaced Saturday, not that dirty at the moment.

Old 07-24-03, 06:10 PM
A/C

If small line warm and the big line cold and wet outside at the compressor unit freon should be ok then. Ok is the blower clean?? No dirt build up in the fan blade cups in the blower wheel? Got good air in the home or does the AC coil need to be cleaned?You have been putting in a new air filter about every 30 to 60 days right ?The inside fan should run when outdoor unit is on, inside fan should run when you turn it on at the tstat.Do you know if the compressor is running outside when the fan is runningoutside??? ED

Old 07-24-03, 06:22 PM
goongrass
Visiting Guest
Small line is warm (not real warm,) and big line is cool (not real cool) and wet at the compressor. Air filter changed about every 2 weeks. Both outside fan and and inside blower shut off before house cools to temperature set on thermostat.

How do you tell if the compressor is running outside when the fan is running, except for touching the lines to determine if there is a temperature change?

Old 07-24-03, 06:54 PM
goongrass
Visiting Guest
The compressor is running judging from the noise.

Old 07-25-03, 12:13 PM
A/C

I think here its time to call a hvac tech and have him put some gauges on it. So he can tell what it is doing ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: