Help! Odd AC Behavior

Old 07-30-03, 05:38 PM
S
stales
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! Odd AC Behavior

I have a Bryant Plus 80 furnace that also serves as the blower for my central AC. I know that both the furnace and the central air are both just about 4 1/2 years old. (Please forgive me, I'm fairly inept when it comes to hvac matters...)
When I run the AC on mild days, everything usually works as it should. However, it seems that as soon as the temperatures get any higher than 85 or so, the blower will keep running, but the compressor doesn't turn on.
On occasion, I can turn the thermostat to the off position and after a few minutes I can crank the thermostat to it's coldest position, turn it back on and the compressor will also fire up and the house will get nice and cool. BUT, when the temp climbs over the mid 80's, the blower just runs continuously without the compressor ever turning on.
I've replaced the air filter and cleaned out the exterior of the outdoor unit. I've not gotten inside it or taken anything apart. I've been reading the posts about cleaning the coils and checking the contactor, but frankly, I'm lost even after checking the rest of the website. (As I said, I seem to be fairly inept in this particular department...)
The thermostat says White Rodgers. It has a rotary dial on the left side and Fan on/off and Heat/Cool/Off switches on the top side.
Is it possible that the thermostat isn't "telling" the compressor to turn on, or are these things symptomatic of a different problem?

Thanks!
John

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-03, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it is possible to rule out the tstat

disconnect power to the furnace and jump out red green and yellow at the tstat. if this solves your problem, replace tstat. if not, you may be losing the low voltage circuit intermittantly, look for broken wires. does the outside fan run when cooling stops, or both it and the compressor?