Electric Furnace and Air Flow

Old 07-31-03, 04:45 PM
C
cdarmer
Visiting Guest
Question Electric Furnace and Air Flow

I have an electric furnance in my house, approx. 26 years old, the original one from when the house was built. I live in Arizona and it is a ranch home approx. 1700 sqft. When the heater clicks on, the majority of the air flow blows through the vents in the front part of the house leaving the back part of the house with very little air flow and about 6-10 degrees colder. I was told it was a duct work problem but the air flow is fine when the swamp cooler is in use, it flows consistently through all vents, and the two systems use the same duct work. What could be causing the problem? Is it a fuse or something? Or is it really the duct work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-03, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct work

Not seeing the duct work its hard. First when you turn the swamp cooler on dont you have to open and close some dampers????Id say look around and think about it. just where and how does the air get around in the duct work. I think if I had did the job I would have a damper that I can close so the air from the furnace cant blow out up in the swamp cooler duct. This could be what is going on . ED

Old 07-31-03, 08:25 PM
C
cdarmer
Visiting Guest
Electric Furnace Air Flow

Ed,

The cooler has an automatic baffle which shuts when the cooler is off. I have checked to make sure the baffle is shut and it is. There is no heat coming out the roof. I have also made sure that all other baffles are in place (or not in place) as needed. The duct work is the original from when the house it built. So I would think that if there was a problem with the duct work that I would have the same problem when the cooler is on. Could it be anything else? Could the furnace just be old? Is there anything else that could be the cause of lack of air flow (for example if the pully adjustment on a swamp cooler affects the air flow)? Obviously the furnace doesn't have a pully but what determines how fast the air blows out? Are there fuses that control the speed of the blower? The furnace is from 1976 a Bryant.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-03, 08:04 AM
blower

Ok one more if You say the damper works ok. Does this duct work have any insulation inside it??? Could it blow up be lose and like shut off the air to the other rooms when the furnace comes on?. Now no ac so there is no coil to clean. When was the last time you looked at the blower wheel fan blades ,are they clean. they can build dirt up over the years even with good filters in the cup of the blades. Ok blower speed yes there are most of the time 3 speed motors on a furnace. So dont know what you are on. Look at the wire layout for it . Should be on the furnace door there look and see. If its not on high you can put it there and try it.You say 76 on the furnace have you been in the home from then and this just started or did you just move into the home? ED

Old 08-01-03, 09:05 AM
C
cdarmer
Visiting Guest
Electric Furnace Air Flow

Ed,

There isn't any insulation inside the duct work so I think I can rule that out. I have not looked at the wheel fan blades only because I'm not sure how to get to them. I'm sure they are dirty as I changed the filter when the heater was in use last year once a month because it got pretty dirty. I'll have to check the fan blades. I did look at the wire diagram on the inside panel and there are 3 speeds for the blower and it apears according to the diagram that they go to some fuses. It looks like I have about 5 fuses(they are long about 3"). I don't know how to tell if the fuses are still good or not or if I should even mess with taking them out and looking at them since I really don't know anything about a furnace. I just bought the house a year ago and last winter was the first for me using the furnace. I'll prob. have to call someone out to look at it. Thanks for the info. At least this gives me some idea of what I'm up against in case I don't get an honest service guy.

Old 08-01-03, 09:22 AM
cooler

Thats for sure . If you dont know what it means to ring it out and see what you got there. Call a hvac tech to look at it, also be there if you can and learn a little about the furnace if you can ED