AC Coil

Old 07-31-03, 06:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question AC Coil

I have just installed a new rheem 2.5 ton outdoor unit. My indoor coil has been freezing up quite often,(never had this problem with the old system) and it feels like very little air is blowing out the vents. I checked the indoor coil and it was filthy. I have cleaned the coil with cleaner purchased from a local hardware store, but the coil is still freezing up solid. A local tech said it would be $600 to clean the coils and that is still may freeze up. What else can I do, before I call a tech person.

Old 07-31-03, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
marq20023:

Whoever installed the outdoor unit should be able to diagnose your problem.
If the old one didn't do it then the problem is likely with the installation.

Old 08-01-03, 02:05 PM
M
HVAC coil freezing up

The tech came back out and said everything looked fine. I asked him if he hooked everything up properly he said he would double check to see if he forgot to do something. He said I should get the coil cleaned and everything would be fine. As you know I have already cleaned the coil once. I will clean it again today to make sure it is dirt free.

Old 08-01-03, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If the coil is dirty you may not be cleaning it properly.
Normally the air enters the bottom of the coil first and the dirt will be stuck to the inside surface. To get at it you have to remove an inspection cover on the coil to see inside.
Just spraying cleaner onto the surface is not good enough.

Old 08-01-03, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

This new outdoor unit you put in. Is it a match for the old coil? Does your old coil have a txv valve on it or does it have an orifice.Did he vacuum the unit out after he put in the new condenser? Just why did you get a new condenser? ED

Old 08-04-03, 05:26 PM
M
I cleaned the coil again. This time I put a high pressure water hose and sprayed the entire coil. Of course I covered up the fan and capacitor and cut all power off. Once I did this tons of dirt, dust etc came out of the coil. I had to use a wet vac to suck up the water as I pressure cleaned it. But it worked. My air conditioner has not froze up anymore and it is blowing cooool air. I know eventually I will have to replace it, but now I have the time to save the money.
I want to say thank you to everyone who replied to my question. THANKS A BUNCH.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: