A/C repair question

Old 08-04-03, 10:53 AM
J
jw_wvu
Visiting Guest
A/C repair question

I had ice in my A/C unit in my basement. I had a repairman out to look at it and he told me that there were pin-hole leaks at the top of my "suction line accumulator".

He told me that he would have to order a new part and spend at least three hours installing it.

My question is:

Can I have these holes plugged as opposed to installing a new accumulator?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-03, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

I would say yes you can have them pluged. "BUT" why are they there, are how did they get there and if there are some now Il bet the whole think is shot. So think about it put a new one in now. "Time" he has to take out the old one put in the new one. I think here he should put in also a new drier.Then pull a vacuum on the system and charge it back up. 3 hr 's he will do good. Most parts store have them all the time.I would look into how you got the pin holes?????just wet on it rust or what. ED

Old 08-04-03, 11:17 AM
J
jw_wvu
Visiting Guest
A/C repair question

The repairman showed me the pinholes.

He had to scrape away the paing from the accumulator to find the leak. What he showed me had a lot of run on it (under the paint). At least on the surface anyway.

So...I guess it's the rust that has causes the pin holes.

The A/C unit is about 6 or 7 years old.

The repairman estimates $700 to repair the existing unit or $1800 to install a new one.

Both figures are high to someone not expecting them.

What should I do?

Old 08-04-03, 11:19 AM
J
jw_wvu
Visiting Guest
I just looked at my post...too many mispellings.

He scraped away PAINT from the accumulator.

He showed me RUST on the surface of the accumulator.

I assume that this rust was the cause of the pin-holes.

Old 08-04-03, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

Hey its up to you . Now 6 or7 years on a unit. Its like your over the 5 year and Im not saying it true put most units then seem to go to 15 year. If you go for the new did he say anything about the inside coil and it would have to be new also to match the new high side? Then what is the SEER on the unit you have now and what is the seer on the new one he wants to put in. Have you had this tech before and has he been in the hvac for a log time?
You have a lot to think about here. Now then with a new one you have 5 years wart. on the compressor. ED

Old 08-04-03, 02:30 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
accumalator

rust is a common fault for holes in it. I assume this is most likely a heat pump? If he does this in three hours he's fast! Ordering and pickup of parts, recovery of HCFC's and disposal, new filter drier, deep vacuum and charge...not to mention the brazing and leak testing...there's alot that goes into it, if done right. The price sounds a little high though...The parts with 100% markup is about 200+180 labor=$380??? Maybe the three hours is on site and doesn't include travel and stock run???But that should be about another 100 to Say $500, Have him break it down for you. I think something is missing. (I included a drier and new gas also).... Get some other estimates.