A/C blowing cool air /house is hot

Old 08-05-03, 04:31 PM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest

Our a/c seems to be blowing cold air, but the temp inside the house gets up to 81+. The digital termostat is set to 72, in the heat of the day though it keeps getting hotter in here as the a/c is still blowing. Any suggestions?

Old 08-05-03, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what temp

is the air? what is the temp in the house? be sure filter and coils are clean.

Old 08-06-03, 07:53 AM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
I've had our service co, check the register air temp and "it is definately cold enough and not causing the problem" their solution was for us to get more insulation installed in the home. It is a puron variable speed system and we've had this problem since the new unit (complete with furnace, 15 registers, 2 air flow returns and all new duct work)was installed 3 yrs ago. The temp in the house was 81 at 6:30pm. Outside was 99. The filters are clean, not sure about coil, or how to check it.

Old 08-06-03, 09:25 AM
A/C

Is this the same company that put it in that said you need more insulation? Did they run a AC load on the home and show you?What AC and heat did you have before? Does the blower get up on high?Is the outdoor unit also running all the time? ED

Old 08-06-03, 10:09 AM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
Yes it is. Is an AC load the size unit the house needs? The system prior was origianl from 1960. I've no idea what brand. What do you mean does the blower get up on high? And yes the unit runs almost non-stop, it may rest for 1-1 min before kicking back on.

Old 08-06-03, 10:32 AM
A/C

AC load is the tons or BTU's of AC you need for the home. What size unit did you have before?

What size did they say you need and what size did they put in?

Did it work alright last year?

Do you know if the blower is blowing on high

What "rest" for a 1 min or 2 ? Is this the inside unit fan shutting off or does the outside unit shut off and rest for a 1 min? Are do both of them shut of for this 1-min? ED

Old 08-06-03, 11:26 AM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
They recommended a 3 ton which is what we put in. Which was a little bit more than we needed but 2 wasn't enough. No it hasn't worked correctly since the summer after they installed it which was in January. They have been out 10+ times and have seen it doing what I'm complaining about but to no avail, no fixes. I haven't checked the running time on the outside unit, so I will watch it for the afternoon. The inside fan is what shuts off, but I'll check the outside. I don't know the size of the old unit.

Old 08-07-03, 06:48 AM
Guttingit
Visiting Guest
I'm having the same problem. Last night at 10pm my temp was 77. It's set at 73. I know cold air is coming out I can feel it. The house just won't cool down. I noticed your from Oklahoma also. I was thinking it was just are 100+ temps killing us. I don't think the system is blowing enough though. I don't know how I can check that.

Old 08-07-03, 07:05 AM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
I have another service person coming out today 3-5 to check it while it is running and hot in here. I found out yesterday that our unit operates with a low speed fan, for noise reduction, but I'm wondering if that could be our problem? Who knows!

Old 08-07-03, 10:40 AM
A/C

Find out if the fan is on high. Take and turn --- fan on -at the tstat and let it on and run all the time.Also see if the blower pick's up speed when you do this. And will it keep runningall the time ED

Old 08-07-03, 12:28 PM
Linkman
Visiting Guest

Hi,

I had the same problem last year. The "3rd" Tech (who was just starting out in the AC Business) found the problem. Cure: He introduced dye into the freon and found a leak in the "A coil" with a UV light.

Replace the evaporator coil and ended the problem.

Hope this helps...
Linkman

Old 08-09-03, 03:49 PM
N
I'm no expert, but...

If the A/C is blowing cold air but the house is getting warmer, obviously the house is gaining heat faster than the A/C can remove that heat.

You need to either decrease the rate at which the house gains heat (adding insulation), or increase the rate at which the A/C removes heat.

How much insulation does your house have?

Old 08-11-03, 07:04 AM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
It appears after the tech came out Thurs, he found the problem, after today I'll know for sure. A small hole letting the hot attic air inside. It worked great over the weekend, but the outside temp wasn't 105 either.
We may need more insulation.
Also I found out that our fan only has one speed-LOW. Our system is a weathermaker by carrier.
Thanks for all the help out there! I may be back!

Old 08-11-03, 11:47 AM
A/C

The tech didnt say if he could put another blower in there for you. If the coil and duct work would take it? So you would get more air. Also insulation sure helps. ED

Old 08-11-03, 12:24 PM
McLemore67
Visiting Guest
No he said that this system by carrier it is more efficient with the low speed blower. It is made to work at peak performance using this low speed movement.

It appears the system is working great! I'm wishing this tech that came out and found the problem would have been here the summer after they installed the unit, I'm assuming the hole has been there the whole time, since repairing it the problem seems to be corrected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: