Heatpump- outside unit not working

Old 08-11-03, 09:11 AM
Z
zampak
Visiting Guest
Heatpump- outside unit not working

I have Goodman heatpump CPKJ48 and Honewell Chronotherm III thermostat. The tech came by couple of days ago to replace the leaky cap. The Heatpump unit worked properly for about three days. Now, its dead again.

Here are the symptoms.

1. The inside unit fan runs. The thermostat does give a – cool on indicator according to temp. The outside unit fan is not spinning. I think the condenser is also not running as there is only the small hum due to solenoid.

2. I checked on the breaker. The AC breaker was tripped. I reset it. Left it there for a few minutes. I turned off all – furnace and AC breakers. And later on turned them on. Again – the symptoms are same. The outside unit doesn’t come on. Can anyone comment on why the breaker generally trips?

3. I looked in the attic at the air handler unit. The breakers there looked fine. I reset them also. No change.

4. Can the thermostat go bad such that this can happen? Is there some way to force the outside unit to run to rule out the thermostat?

5. I tried spinning the fan with a stick. No success.

Thanx for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-03, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

Id call the tech back. I dont think its anything he did. But if the outside unit pops the breakers. You have to ring out the unit to find out what is wrong with it. You cant force it to run if it keeps popping the breakers ED