AC Coil Disposal Fee

Old 08-12-03, 07:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question AC Coil Disposal Fee

Our AC stopped blowing cold air.

I called a tech and they advised that the coil was leaking and would have to be replaced. He also advised that our home warranty would cover everything except a $125 'Disposal Fee'.

My questions is...Am I getting ripped off? Seems to me they would have to drain the freon before they could remove the coil and once the freon is drained it would just be a matter of recycling or selling (are the coils copper?) the coil.

They are coming to put in the new one soon and any advice or ammunition to argue this fee (after the new one is installed of course) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-03, 09:44 AM
A/C

Dont know how your laws are there. But If this is the inside A coil only that has leaked out how can there be any freon to recover?Like you say it's just alum & copper.
Now with the outside unit and the compressor. Yes there we have oil and we get hit with a disposal fee. Dont know if this helps or not, also did you get another bid for this job? ED

Old 08-12-03, 10:13 AM
A
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly I am not sure if it is the inside or outside coil. They just said 'the coil'.

As far as another bid, since it is being covered by the warranty I have to go with the company contract by my warranty provider.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers.

Old 08-12-03, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
alynch_2000:

Exactly how old is this unit?

I would have them detail exactly who they are paying with this fee. If there are government or municipal fees to be paid they are only collecting on the authorities behalf.
Also you could ask to keep the coil and PROPERLY dispose of it yourself.

Old 08-12-03, 06:14 PM
smells fishy....

disposal fee? those things are recyclable, we used to save them for extra money! tell your home warranty company of this. see if they will cover it, or send another contractor out. these guys give the rest of us a bad name. good luck

Old 08-14-03, 12:02 PM
A
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the replies.

In response to Greg's question, the unit was originally installed with the house in '91 so 12 years.

Actually I am still waiting for them to come. First the guy got lost and could not have gotten there until 8:00 pm, now they haven't called again.

I will definitely be letting the warranty co. know what I think of their contractor. I will also ask about the disposal fee and am planning to ask the guy to leave it so I can just recycle it.

I will let you all know what he says (by the way I am in TX if anyone happens to know the state laws concerning this).

Cheers.

Old 08-14-03, 08:00 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Leaker

If it has all leaked out, there is no gas to recover. If you want to take it to the dump yourself, you can disassemble it and cash in the aluminum clad copper coils for cash...it's beer money about $30-40.00. The oil is a matter of cutting the suction line off and flipping the compressor over and draining it into a bucket and disposing it yourself. The question is do you want to go all through that for $125.00...call the city inspector...this sounds shady! You might say ."nevermind, I'll do that, and Leave the coils on site".

Old 08-15-03, 01:29 PM
A/C

Hey guys dont tell them how we get our BEER money. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: