Freon gone in 2 days No leak found??

Old 08-13-03, 01:39 PM
bf1942
Visiting Guest
Freon gone in 2 days No leak found??

Hi I have a approx 7yr old carrier, just bought the house a couple months back, inspector said it was to cold out to test the central air, Tried it out and everything working ,but no cold air.

It ran for a couple of days like that while i was away, lines did NOT freeze.

Had the freon refilled worked for 2 days then no cold air again.

did a high pressure test to hear a leak, could not hear anything.
then filled with air and measured the pressure, ans the pressure held ok, no leak detected. refilled freon

worked for 2 days then Lines froze up inside and outside.

the tech's are stumped any ideas where or how I loose all the freon so fast, but can't find a leak?
The final freon fill up was on a monday nite, I wa sgone till thursday nite when I noticed the frozen lines they may have froze up sooner than I thought.
I did a generall cleaning of the outside unit but not it coils yet,
some minor bending here and there was noted.

thanks

Last edited by bf1942; 08-13-03 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-13-03, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

That fast They have to find it. There is Dietell red , a UV light, bubbles, halogen leak detector.Did they look at the electric inlet on the compressor. Lots of times if you lost the freon and it has been running look on the high side. If you lost freon and the unit has not been running it on the low side.I take it you did vacuum it out after you let the air out. just my .02 cents ED

Old 08-13-03, 02:12 PM
bf1942
Visiting Guest
They did not vacuum out anything,(what do you recommend)

or do a Halogen or uv ,die test.

When you say electric on the compressor do you mean where
the power wires enter the compressor?

Im starting to wonder if I should try to check and clean the A-coil?

Old 08-13-03, 02:17 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
pressure test

I think you meant they pressure tested with nitrogen! If air was used your entire system is contaminated.
Some leaks are due to heat and vibration and may only be found with an ultraviolet dye and special lamp, noteably by Spectroline. The other cause may be kids that are huffing your system...they breathe this stuff to get a buzz like glue...you may also be having a safety release discharging the charge due to high pressure, but this is unlikely. Use the dye for the impossible ones...A failing TXV may give you similar signs. Recover and weigh the gas and you'll know...

Old 08-13-03, 02:21 PM
H
pressure test

I think you meant they pressure tested with nitrogen! If air was used your entire system is contaminated.
Some leaks are due to heat and vibration and may only be found with an ultraviolet dye and special lamp, noteably by Spectroline. The other cause may be kids that are huffing your system...they breathe this stuff to get a buzz like glue...you may also be having a safety release discharging the charge due to high pressure, but this is unlikely. Use the dye for the impossible ones...A failing TXV may give you similar signs. Recover and weigh the gas and you'll know...The electronic leak detector we are all presuming has been done...This is the first step....hearing leaks is something a plummer does. Rarely do we get leaks that large.

Old 08-13-03, 02:22 PM
A/C

I dont see how they looked for a leak if they did try any of the things I said. Then you said they put air in it. OH BOY and they didnt vacuum it out. I would look for another tech now ED

Old 08-13-03, 02:26 PM
bf1942
Visiting Guest
I saw him use a nitogen tank high pressure test to check 4 leaks,
but after that I thought he used a compressor of sorts to refill and check pressure, I thought it was air ill have to ask,
If the whole system was contaminated with air , what has to be done to DE-contaminate it?

when and if a leak is found?

could a super dirty a-coil have caused the recent frozen line, or only low freon?,
the line was not frozen the 1st time i tried the ac and it ran a couple of days, but was bone dry.

Old 08-13-03, 03:13 PM
You've got Bubba working on your a/c. If this thing is blowing the charge in just 2 days my 10 year old son could find the leak. Are you dealing with a home warranty company or did you call these people yourself? If it's home warranty call them and complain and that you want someone else. If you called these people talk to the owner and see if they've got a tech that knows what he's doing or call someone else.

You've either got a massive leak or kids are huffing it.

Old 08-14-03, 07:43 PM
H
air contamination

If air was used, have the old filter drier removed and an oversized activated charcoal drier installed. This is an HH filter if it's a Sporlan. A vacuum for 20 minutes, break the vacuum with dry nitrogen and let it stand for a few minutes to absorb moisture and then a deep vacuum for 1 hour, and charge the unit.
If air was used, fire him. Caution...what you think was an air compressor may have been a recovery machine or vacuum pump??? You need to know first. Don't use pluming companies for HVACR work!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: