Electric A/C

Old 08-14-03, 11:28 PM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
Electric A/C

We have central air but our house does not have gas running to it. Our A/C worked fine yesterday. It sounds to me as if the furnace is working fine. ANd the fan outside seems to be spinning right. But it is hot in our house. I don't know how old the unit is but was told it's only 2 or 3. The copper tubing is dry. And I"m dying in this heat. I changed the air filter this evening hoping that would help but now it's hotter inside than out. HELP!!!

Old 08-15-03, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the compressor is not kicking in and this could be caused by several things. While the outside fan is spinning do you ever hear the compressor motor run? It will be louder than the fan with a humming noise.

Old 08-15-03, 08:20 AM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
I really couldn't say. I'm not the best when it comes to things of that matter. I know the unit in the basement appears to be working but it's not as loud as it usually is and our basement is warm as well. We are experiencing hotter weather lately than we have in the last few months. A solid week of upper 80's and yesterday the weatherman said it felt mid to upper 90's. I'm sure it would be easier to have someone come look at it but I'd rather try to get it fixed myself or by my husband if possible. What is the box outside?

Old 08-15-03, 10:03 AM
The box outside is the condensor unit. It houses the compressor which is what does the work to circulate refrigerant and remove heat from your house. If you pull the disconnect or turn off the double breaker in your breaker box to kill power to the outdoor unit you can remove the access cover and visually look for any broken wires or anything burnt. If you find any post here and describe it. If you guys aren't to familiar with electric or don't have the proper tools you will be better off calling a pro.

Be sure and kill the power 1st.

Old 08-15-03, 09:09 PM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
Apparently it froze. But it was not visible to me or my husband. The man came and when we turned it back on it worked. He didn't do anything to it and still charged us $50 and now it's a nice comfortable 70 in my house

Old 08-16-03, 09:09 AM
If it froze you have a problem and it will just happen again. You say you changed the filter. Was it real dirty?

Old 08-16-03, 12:33 PM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
Yes it was dirty. Why will it happen again? ANd if there was a real problem why didn't the man repair it? As a professional I would assume he would know how to fix it and why it had a problem so why would he just ignore it. Cincinnati has far too many companies to choose from. SO I suppose it is possible we called a shoddy one. But it still doesn't explain why he would just walk away from a real problem.

Old 08-16-03, 01:19 PM
AC cost

You dont say did the tech put some freon in the unit? The air filter you should change it about every 30 to 90 days when the unit is running. ED

Old 08-16-03, 01:23 PM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
He said the freon levels were fine. He told me to change the filter every time I pay the Cinergy bill. I do change it every month. But the filter we put in said it would last 90 days. It made it 65.

Old 08-17-03, 11:58 AM
That's why I asked about the filter. That's a very good reason for it to freeze with no other problems. You should be ok. He gave you good advice on changing it when you pay the Cinergy bill. By the way could you pay my Cinergy bill too? That's a funny HAHA
Fellow Cincinnatian. Westsider?

Old 08-17-03, 12:02 PM
nessapaige
Visiting Guest
I live in NKY. I'll pay your Cinergy bill (although we only pay electric as we do not use gas) if you pay my mortgage

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: