a/c not working properly

Old 08-17-03, 05:24 PM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
Question a/c not working properly

My cental air unit (bryant) doesn't seem to be pumpming cold air. Yesterday the fan stopped working for both the furnace and the a/c unit. Had some one take a look turns out the tstat wasn't snapped all the way back on. Both fans were back up running, and it felt like cool air was coming through the vents. The guy said if any thing is wrong it's with the tstat. After a few hours it felt a little cooler, however, the tstat said the temp was still the same. So I bought a new tstat and I'm getting the same results the air from the vents just isn't a cold as it has previously been. the unit was installed in '91. We just purchased this house two mo.s ago, so I don't know if this had been a problem before, it worked fine untill a few days ago. Does it take a while to get the cold air back or could I need to get a recharge on the freon? or something else?

Old 08-17-03, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

This guy that looked at it was he a hvac tech? Is the air filter clean the A coil clean? Is the little line warm and the big line cold and wet?Did he put gauges on the unit to check the freon? dont sound like the tstat for now. Is the compressor outside running. INFO INFO See post #2 ED

Old 08-17-03, 05:49 PM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
I believe the guy is a hvac tech. He's a friend of my husband and installs furnaces and a/c units for a living, I don't know his exact tittle. The air filter is clean, I believe the compresser is working. He didn't say it wasn't. The small line is about room temp, the big line is insulated so I don't know. As far a the coils, the ones on the unit appear to be clean, however i don't know where the one inside the house is

Last edited by meanmean; 08-17-03 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-17-03, 05:55 PM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
I don't believe he checked the freon. I do believe the compresser is working when I went out side there seemed to be two different sounds, the fan and a motor clicked on,

Old 08-18-03, 06:31 AM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
Well it's the compresser, it runs but doesn't pump any air.

Old 08-18-03, 07:27 AM
A/C

You say the compressor is running and no cool. Id get the tech to put gauges on it and find out whats going on. If its low on freon or not. The compresor dont pump air it pumps the freon. The coil inside would be on top or side of the indoor blower unit or furnace this should be wet and cold. ED

Old 08-18-03, 09:45 AM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
The freon was checked and its fine. The guy that checked it out again said the pistons are froze, and we'd need to get a new compressor, or buy a new unit.

Old 08-18-03, 02:04 PM
A/C

Im lost here. He said that the freon was fine. Then he said the pistons where froze or did he say the valves where bad and you need a new compressor. I cant see how if the compressor didnt run he knows its full of freon. Did he ring out the compressor is it a burn out or not. If so does he have all the tools to do a clean up on the unit. Make sure He puts in a new drier on liquid line and also a suction line filter-drier. I think I would get another bid on fixing this AC unit or on a new outdoor unit. ED

Old 08-18-03, 02:52 PM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
He tested the freon so he knew it was full. He told my husband (from what my husband told me) the compresser was probably full of dirt and it's preventing the pistons from running. I guess the compresser comes on, but doesn't do what it's supposed to do. He's doing this for free so I can't really complain. Is it possible to clean out the compresser?? I wasn't outside when they were discussing what was wrong so I may have to wait til my husband gets home for more details. He(husband) didn't say anthing about being burned out or valves, just that is was recommened to get a new compresser or unit.

Old 08-18-03, 05:19 PM
Question A/C

Boy I sure would like to know how all this dirt got into the compressor to start with. Does the compressor not run at all or does the compressor run and not pump the freon? I dont think I have ever tried to or had too clean out an "old compressor".If you get a new outdoor unit besure and get a new indoor coil also ED

Old 08-18-03, 05:53 PM
sandman6778
Visiting Guest
tell the friend to put an amp probe on it. see if the compressor has a faulty valve. check the compressor amp draw and see if it matches the compressor data plate. (it maybe higher or lower.) if the pistons are froze or locked up you would be in locked rotor and match the LRA or locked rotor amps on the compressor data plate.

Last edited by sandman6778; 08-18-03 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 01:58 PM
meanmean
Visiting Guest
sorry

I'm sorry about some of the run around, however, my husband sometimes wants to sound more knowlegdeable on a subject than he really is so......... It's not dirt in the compresser, after hounding him about what he friend told him he said "He hooked up gauges to the compresser and not all thepistons are running." So he then call me a work today and says I had another guy look at it(since we're now getting estimates) and he said the same thing, apparently there's supposed to be 11amps running to or from the compresser and its only registering 3amps. so theguy apparently said a couple of pistons might be running but most of them aren't. So I guess we need a new compresser or unit. If we get a new unit at a different seer rating what would need to be changed as far a hook-ups and coils??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: