Central A/C

Old 08-19-03, 06:42 PM
Jackie
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Central A/C

We have a Janitrol central air unit. Model #cm36-1eb, serial#910761726. To the best of our knowledge it is probably 10-12 years old. How long are these units good for? The service people have come out past couple of season and add freon saying there is a leak some where in the unit.
They are trying to persuade us to get an upgrade and replace the unit.
After putting in the freeon the system seems to working fine. What would your advise be?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-03, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have them find the leak and go from there. 10-12 years is getting close to the end.

Old 08-20-03, 06:19 AM
A/C

Im with Matt Have they even tried to find the leak before? Most of the time 15 years tops on a unit. But I do know of one that's 39 ED

Old 08-20-03, 01:59 PM
Jackie
Visiting Guest
Smile Janitral central a/c

Originally posted by mattison
Have them find the leak and go from there. 10-12 years is getting close to the end.

Thanks for you advice. We scheduled for service to have the leak repaired. Instead of the repair, a fellow called and advised us to replace the system. We have used the same company each year. The company knows the history of the unit. They don't seem to want to repair the leak. Just charge it each time they come out.
I am on the side of fixing the leak, because it has never been done. I am thinking of changing service companies. Again thanks for your advise, if there is any more direction you can give me. That would be a good thing. :-)

Old 08-20-03, 07:53 PM
They are doing what we call Gas -N- Go. A reputable company would not do this. The reason you should find the leak is that it could be something as simple as a shrader core leaking or a coil. After they find the leak weigh the options. A repair may be worth it if the system is good other than that, if the repair is going to cost more than a couple hundred bucks you may be better off replacing it.

Old 08-24-03, 03:01 AM
Jackie
Visiting Guest
Central A/C repair leak next season

Your advise has been ssooooo helpful. Thanks, it has givien me,us peace of mind. We are going to change our service company, and get the leak located and evaluated. My question now is. Since it is at the end of the season we are considering to continue with this delema next season. Labor day is a week away. Summer just flashed right by.