1st & 2nd floor not same temp.

Old 08-20-03, 08:15 AM
Question 1st & 2nd floor not same temp.

I live in a house that is less than 2 years old. We have been talking with the builder about the problem we have with the 1st and 2nd floors not being the same temperature. I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas of what else to look for so that I can talk with our builder in a more educated fashion.

The problem is that the 2nd floor is always at least 4 degrees hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter. The heating and cooling rep came out to adjust the dampers in the ducts and the registers, but to no avail.

We live in Iowa. Our home has 1307 square feet on the 1st floor and 936 square feet on the 2nd floor. Ceilings are 8 ft. We have a Lennox C26-31 AC and a Lennox G32 furnace. We have 11 floor registers on the 1st floor and 8 on the 2nd floor. We have 3 cold air returns on the 1st floor (one high, two low). We have 3 cold air returns on the 2nd floor (all high). We have R-48 blown-in insulation in the roof. We have 15 recessed fixtures in the 2nd floor ceiling. The boxes are W.S.E.C. compliant, but the trims are not: they are open trims.

Last winter we found air leakage behind the baseboards, so we pulled all those off and caulked. We caulked all the outlets and switches on exterior walls. We have tried to completley close some of the registers on the first floor, and this has had minimal effect. I do notice that the air comes out of the registers more forcefully on the 1st floor than the 2nd.

I keep wondering if the problem is from our recessed fixtures.

Any ideas of what else we can check would be most helpful!

Thank you,
Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-03, 09:45 AM
Lightbulb HOT AIR

No matter how hard you try HOT air will go up and COLD air will come down. So if you have an open stairs from up to down you will have some temp difference.It sounds like you have a good set up on the registers and cold air returns. Most of the time we tell people to turn the blower on and let it run all the time. It could be set up so it runs on low when no heat or cool is called for. This is why I like to use two units in a home that has two floors. Also you do have a V/B under that R48 blow in insulation? ED

Old 08-20-03, 10:56 AM
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm glad that the set-up sounds appropriate for our situation.

Okay...I understand about the hot air rising. It seems then, that in the winter, it should also be warmer on the second floor. We find that it's colder on the second floor during the winter. Can you help me think that through?

When you say to turn the blower on, do you mean the fan setting at the thermostat? (We have a Honeywell programmable CT3200) The fan has two settings, "auto" and "on". Do you mean to leave it at "on". or is there something with the furnace/AC themselves to adjust?

When you say "V/B", I'm assuming vapor barrier. I've never looked up there under the insulation. Is the vapor barrier plastic sheeting? Would it be easy to see if I took a look up there?

You've been very helpful.

Sue

Old 08-20-03, 11:27 AM
TWO FLOORS

Cold upstairs in winter??????Dont know how the home is built.Do you have what we call knee walls? No insulation in them .Is part of ceiling also the roof rafters and no insulation in them?
Dont know why if you shut down the down stairs reg. some the air dont go upstairs it should.Is duct work to up stairs big enough?
Yes at tstat turn fan on and let run. See how and if it helps or not.Would have to set it up at the furnace to run on low all the time when not calling for heat or cool.

Dig down it the insulation and see if you find a V/B there. Most of the time you put a 2 mil poly on the joist room side of the ceiling then the drywall. Then blow the insulation in If you dont have it the insulation will get moisture in it from the home and be the same as you havent any insulation at all or not as much.

ED

Old 08-25-03, 07:55 PM
Hi Ed,

Sorry for the long delay in my response. I had to wait and get some help to climb up into the attic.

We don't have any of the construction issues you mentioned, however, I was dismayed to see that we have no vapor barrier in the ceiling. I don't know if it is code or not in Iowa. I will have to check with our building inspector.

I'm feeling very disappointed that such an easy thing to do during construction was not done.

I appreciate the tips.

Sue