A/C unit frozen.. URGENT~MEDICAL ISSUE

Old 08-21-03, 08:28 AM
Debbiedee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy A/C unit frozen.. URGENT~MEDICAL ISSUE

Hello!!I am disabled and not able to do much, or really afford extensive work on my A/C unit. So I am looking for some help....PLEASE!! I woke this morning, and the air was getting a little "stuffy" inside. I tried turning the air on, and the thermostat just clicked, and would not turn on. I went outside and the unit was frozen...well the pipe that leads from the unit to the house was frozen. I assume it was frozen, since it had "ice" on it....is that actually ice? I came inside, for I am not suppose to be outdoors with my conditions, and then turned the a/c unit off on the thermostat. What can I do to "unthaw" this? Is turning it off inside going to help? I am begging for someone's help, I just don't know what to do.....and being on Medicare only, I just can't afford another expense. I'm crying as I type, so forgive me if I'm not making any sense. I MUST have air. I MUST for medical reasons.
Thanking you in advance for your replies,
Debbiedee

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 08:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, that is ice, and it may be for more than one reason.
I' m not a heating-and-air technician by any means, but this has happened with our heatpump in AC mode.
Is your's a heatpump, or an AC system with the compressor outside and an air handler inside?
The evaporator coil of the unit may be frozen up, if the evaporator fan motor or its control module has failed.
(This is what dehumidifies the air and blows it through your ductwork.)
Can you feel air blowing at the registers at all? If you can't, that most likely is the problem.
You may be able to thaw it out by turning on the heat for a while, or you can melt it out with a water hose with the power OFF.
Turn OFF all power to the unit (make certain of this) if it is a heatpump it may have as many as three double-pole breakers in your electrical panel.
Someone will need to take the top or side off to look at the evaporator coil to see if it is frozen up. They can melt it out with a water hose, if that's it.
If the blower fan isn't working, however, neither of the above will do any good. You'll have to replace the fan motor or its control first.
Good Luck!

Old 08-21-03, 09:38 AM
A/C

When was the last time you looked at or put a new air filter in this unit????????Is it clean???IS the inside coil clean? For now Turn the tstat to fan on and let it blow. Dont turn the ac on for now. After the ice is gone then You can try the AC again . Then If you see ice You will have to call hvac tech to look at it. To clean it or add freon ED

Old 08-21-03, 10:02 AM
Debbiedee
Visiting Guest
thank you.......

Thanx for the replies! Yes, I have looked at the filters in awhile, I change them MONTHLY! Also, I am unable to turn the fan on where it blows on the inside, only runs outside. I see where the t-stat is "sparking" when I try to turn it on....so maybe the t-stat is bad? Not getting a good connection?
Getting very warm in here......94 outside w/ heat indecies of 100!
B.T.W........THE ICE IS GONE!

Old 08-21-03, 10:31 AM
A/C

It sounds like its your inside blower fan motor. You will have to call a tech to look at it. If this didn't run yes for sure you would see ice and the freon could be ok. DONT RUN THE UNIT ON COOL IF YOU DONT HAVE THE INSIDE FAN WORKING ok. ED

Old 08-21-03, 10:48 AM
Debbiedee
Visiting Guest
HMMMMMMMMMM,

hOW MUCH WOULD A FAN & SERVICE RUN?APPROX..???

Old 08-21-03, 11:13 AM
A/C

Thats hard to say Its different all over.The call and new motor here about $150.00 The motors for blowers list out about $70.00 to $95.00.Call around and see what kind of price they would give you on looking at it and what the motor would cost. ME TO but it cost to send a truck and tech out ED