outside breakers

Old 08-22-03, 01:08 PM
outside breakers

When I mow my yard and use the weedeater I switch off the outside unit using the breakers by the unit outside to prevent grass and dirt going into the unit.Will this hurt it or do I need to shut it down from inside the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-03, 01:40 PM
A/C

Id say its a yes and no here. You can turn them off at the unit ok .But first the breakers are not a switch and should not be use that way. Also that should be just a disconnect there and the breakers not by the unit. So I would turn the unit off at the tstat ED

Old 08-22-03, 02:00 PM
OK thanks

Ok I guess it might be the disconnet looks like two overgrown switches.I will use the inside to do it from now on.I was just being lazy my wife get a little upset when I drag the grass stuck on my feet.

Old 08-22-03, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
Lightbulb A different idea.

The switch at the unit is considered an emergency shut off.
In my opinion a swat to the back of the head for getting grass stains on the rug could be considered emergency use for that switch.
I say use the outside switch.

Old 08-22-03, 04:08 PM
Yea a swat is not fun

Yea a swat is not fun but I did not think it would hurt to shut down unit while all the dry grass is flying around less to get sucked up in the fins means a little longer between washing it out.The only thing I was not sure of is if the unit upstairs in the attic would keep running and maybe be damaged.I think I have some disconnects upstairs also I dont know I never messed with those.