Please Help !

Old 08-24-03, 07:37 AM
raven96929
Visiting Guest
Wink Please Help !

Last night my wife I woke up to a loud noise coming from my attic. The noise was most noticeable right above my AC intake vent or return. Not sure about terminology or spelling.LOL. But it sounded like a loud binding / humming noise. I've heard motors make this kind of sound on my job before. But what was even worse was the smell. Smelled like something was burning or had burned (electrical / rubber smell). Once I switched the thermostat to the off position the noise stopped. Tried to turn it back on a few times but the noise just can back. Took a while for the smell to calm down. My compressor unit is on the outside of my house. Upstairs is the furnace and the heater & AC blower. (I think). I've gone up there to re-light the pilot for my furnace. I went outside to check the fuses on my compressor unit, everything seems to be OK out there. But when I went upstairs, everything is sealed so tight, with some aluminum looking tape. I smelled around for something that may have been burned, but like I said it was sealed too tight for me to even get a clue. This is a stacked unit. If that makes sense.

The furnace is on the bottom, then next section is where all the tape is, it has a drain line PVC (going outside), a small copper line, and some other line. The top section is sheet metal section with all of the air ducts attached to it going to different rooms.

The outside compressor unit is a Bryant Unit :
serial # 2689E78863
model # 590ANX030000AAAA

The attic unit is a Carrier Corporation unit :
serial # P857481
model # 518CXX030000MAAA

Any help or info would be appreciated ! Thanks in advanced !

Raven

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-03, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C blower

Sounds like the blower wheel or the blower motor. Dont try and run the ac with out the inside blower running. The blower motor should be the first part of the furnace or where the cold air return goes in. The next should be the ac coil thats where the pvc pipe and the copper lines go into. then the plenum where all the pipes come out of. check out that blower ED

Old 08-24-03, 09:30 AM
raven96929
Visiting Guest
Question Thanks Ed Imeduc !

For your response ! Is it difficult to replace ? Is there a how-to guide that I can review. And will I drain or lose all of the freon during this repair. Sorry for all the questions, but I am newbie at AC repair. Computers, I can repair, but AC/Heat, I am a dummy ! Go figure ! Thanks in advanced !

Raven

Old 08-24-03, 11:03 AM
A/C

Did you find the blower???????? As I said it can be the fan blade or its called the wheel also. This can be hitting some thing in there.You said smell that sounds like it got the motor. You can get new parts for this and put them in. Not hard are bad to do. Has not a thing to do with the furnace or the freon.Just pull it out and get a new motor and cap just like the one you have or wheel if need be. Grainger would have it or a HVAC shop. Draw the wire layout as it is now and put it back the same way. Turn the power off to the furnace and compressor and just do it. The blower should have a door to it or a panel to take off and you will see the blower if this has tape on it just run a knife around it. Hay we's all got's to learn some time ED

Old 08-24-03, 11:22 AM
raven96929
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks Ed Imeduc !

Is there a special tool required to remove the blower ? I called around to several places about the repair and most places are quoting between $200 and $250 for parts and labor. I don't know the price of the air blower motor itself, looking them up right now. If I can save myself some money, then I am willing to try it myself. Just wanna be as prepared as possible.

You have been most helpful !! Thank You !

Raven

Old 08-24-03, 03:01 PM
Thumbs up blower

Screw driver, adjustable end wrench and could be set of allen wrenches thats it . Motor cost $70.00 To $95.00 list ED