Central Air Freeze up

Old 08-24-03, 01:02 PM
Toad
Visiting Guest
Central Air Freeze up

We have a Coleman heater/air conditioner unit in our mobile home. The unit inside and outside has frozen up. I have cleaned the coils, checked for blocked vents,fan on indoor unit runs,and the air filter is clean.I believe the major problem is that the outdoor unit continually runs. I can only get it to shut off by tripping the breaker. When I do this I lose all the ice. When breaker is retripped-ice begins to form on the coils and the pipe.I am needing to find out how I can get the outside unit to work properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-03, 03:14 PM
A/C

If its as clean as you say and both the coils are clean. you say the outdoor unit runs all the time ????? Does the inside fan turn off????If the ice forms right away when you turn it on could be low on freon also.
If the inside fan turns off and the outside unit dont then you could have a stuck relay or contactor in the out door unit. Some times the points burn or bugs get on them and they stay on. Have to look and see. Turn the power off before you go into it ED

Old 08-24-03, 04:41 PM
Toad
Visiting Guest
Central Air Freeze up

Ed-The fan on our inside unit is working. However the outside unit does not shut off at all. What will I be looking for if it is the relay or the contactor?Also is it going to be in the metal box that is on the outside unit?When unit is turned off it will ice up immediately.Noticed this about a week ago with just a thin layer of frost. Now it is full blown chunck ice. At this time I thawed out the unit by turning off the breakers and running the fan. It is working fine now,but I have to trip the breakers to the outside unit everytime we are not using the air.....thank you in advance for all your help.

Old 08-24-03, 05:43 PM
A/C

Does the inside fan turn off????????????????????????

And the outside unit keep running????????????????????
If so look inside the out door unit for the contactor and see if it is stuck on. a little frost last week and ice now could be freon also??? When unit is turned off it will ice up ??
I think you should call a hvac tech to look at it