Return air requirements

Old 08-25-03, 07:12 PM
DJCaldwell
Visiting Guest
Return air requirements

I have a new 2 story townhouse that had a problem heating the lower level last winter. The upstairs would get very hot, even with those registers closed and the main floor ones open.

This summer I had a contractor install a central A/C system in the home. When I discussed this problem with him, he said the reason was that there wasn't a return air vent anywhere on the main level.

My question is this: Is there any requirement for the builder to install a return air vent on each level ? Is there a code requirement I can reference that would support my position that it should have been installed during the original construction phase? My new home warranty expires soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-26-03, 09:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

I know of no codes that tell me where to put the cold air returns or where to put the outlets for heating and cooling or how many.
For what you have up and down AND if there was room for it. One large return with a return grill on the first floor and one on the 2nd floor. So you could open the down stairs return grill in the winter and close it and open the 2nd floor return in the summer. We have put the returns in the kick space of the stairs with one at the bottom step and one at the top step. This way it can get the air as it goes up or down the stairs. Sounds like they didnt know how to put in a heating and cool job. Are it was how cheep can we do it. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: