One more Heil 3.5 ton A/C question...

Old 08-26-03, 09:54 AM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One more Heil 3.5 ton A/C question...

First, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally got my A/C FIXED!!!! The original contractor kept screwing me around about the temp being so high in my house. First they said that I couldn't expect to get the temp down in my manufactured home anywhere near the mid seventies, excuses about the insulation not being the best. Well after hearing the excuses for some time I requested all of my paperwork from this contractor (actually used to be a friend of mine) and realized he was not being tuthful in several things. So I cut him out of the loop. I talked with my brother who works for a large HVAC company and he asked one of the techs (his friend) if he could come out and take a look. Tech came out and asked me who the morons were who charged it. I explained the whole story to him and he informed me that the system was OVER CHARGED dangerously high - he was supprised that the system did not blow. So he spent about an hour and a half and now my A/C gets down into the mid seventies without having to run nonstop as it was before - hopefully now my electric bill will be reasonable. Also, the noise I mentioned in previous posts sounds like it was attributed to the high freon content - system now runs smooth and quiet.

I do have one more question. Last night it rained extremely hard -poured. Well I noticed that the power went off and on really fast - could hear the furnace blower motor kick off and then on really hard. A few minutes later I walked by one of the registers and noticed that it was not blowing cold air. So I went outside and between the rain coming down and the fan motor on (outside unit) I could not hear the compressor on. So I pulled the fuse box out of the A/C main power supply, waited about a minute and then put it back in. I then could hear the compressor kick in along with the fan. Could the storm, power surge? have caused the compressor to kick off while the outside and inside fans were running? Haven't had a problem since just last night. Very weird. The contactor is new as is the relays in the furnace that control the A/C unit so I do not think it would be one of those items at fault. Any ideas? Thanks again for all the help. -Shawn

Old 08-26-03, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

Dont know how good your power is there. But we put a time delay on all the ac units. What you had and what the relay does is .When the power goes off and back on the poor compressor has to try and start up against a head pressure and it cant do it.So it will turn on and off on and off till it can start again. This time delay relay when the power goes off will shut the unit down for say 5 -10 min .This will let the freon get all balance out in the unit and the compressor can start like it does all the time. Id get one put on they run about $20.00. ED

Old 08-26-03, 11:16 AM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot! I really appreciate the info. Do you have a part number or make for this item? My local heating and cooling store should carry it right? Also, I am capable of doing wiring, installs but was wondering where this delay timer hooks into? Before the contactor in the A/C unit or in the furnace? Thanks again.

Old 08-26-03, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WHERE

If you want you can put it at the inside unit or you can put it in the outside unit it dont matter. THINK like this there are just 2 wires 24 volts that go out to the outdoor unit to make it turn on. The time delay goes in them before the contactor on the outdoor unit. There should be a how to wire lay out with the relay. Power here is so bad for on and off I have them on my fridge and freezer also . ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: