Electric Radiant Heating

Old 08-27-03, 05:59 AM
ruxpin
Visiting Guest
Question Electric Radiant Heating

Does anyone have any comments on electric radiant heating. What do you think about this way of heating your home. We are looking into purchasing a 38 year old 2000 square feet bungalow style home with this type of heating. Should we stay away or should we buy then convert to Natural Gas heating. Any comments, suggestions opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Rux

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-03, 07:51 AM
I am not sure what parts of the states your in.. The cost will vary from area to area. You may want to call around and compair pricing w/ the local Gas (LP or Nat?), Oil, and Electric Company in your area.

If your in the country there is no Nat gas, then you have chocie between LP Gas, Oil, and Electric.. If your in town, and has no gas service in the house, you'll have to figure out what the cost of running the gas line to the house, and inside.

We rent, and we have electric heat in our Apt. It dose a good job, but expenseive to keep warm. The only really nice thing about it (in some places) each room has it's own T-Stat. so you can have each room at your pref in Temp.

If your budget allows, I'd invest into a forced air system, and that way you have Central Air, and not have to listen to the window A/C working away...

Old 08-27-03, 07:59 AM
elec. heat

The home could be a good buy. But I would forget the electric radiant heat.It dont work to good. I have taken lots of them out or just turned them off
But in the same way all we put in here now is electric furnace heat or heat pumps for heat and cool.

Go to http://www.warmair.net this will let you compare the fuel cost there and tell you what to use.

Get 3 bids to put in a new furnace, AC and duct work and see if you should buy it. If you go heat pump there dont forget that all the power you need for it is already in. If you go gas you do need a new flue. ED

MY .02 cents