lots of water

Old 08-29-03, 03:27 PM
Steven Carnie
Visiting Guest
lots of water

Our fan capacitor fan would not run so a tech came out and replaced the capacitor for $220.00 on our Goodman 10 Seer AC unit. He also said the fan may stop working soon which would be $550 to replace. About a week later we are now getting about 5 drips per second from the attic drain hole onto our patio. Didn't even notice a drip before our problems. Hoping to try to fix the problem I replaced the fan myself $65.00, but have run into a problem. 1- I still have the fast drip and 2. the fan I was given is a 1/6 hp 680 RPM motor, but the one I took off is a 1/4 horse 1080RPM motor. Questions- Why is this unit dripping so much now? The tech said the feon level was normal when he replaced the capacitor. 2. Will this motor work or do I need to get a 1/4 hp motor. The ac unit is 6 years old and we have never had a problem with it before. One last thought. We had to open the windows for a week until the ac guy arrived, could the system just be blowing out all the excess humidity in the house- it's been 5 days. We live in Sacramento- pretty dry area.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-03, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blower motor

Put the same kind of motor back in there that you had. You need the 1/4 hp at 1080 rpm not what you have now. Your not moving the air over the coil you need to.Get a new motor and then see what the drips do.
the cap. list at about $18.00 for that motor . Boy dont call him again. ED

Old 08-29-03, 05:42 PM
the water you see dripping

is the humidity being removed from your house. you should see a couple of gallons a day on a hot day. the more the better in most cases.

Old 08-30-03, 08:26 PM
Steven Carnie
Visiting Guest
Thankyou

Thanks for both your help. I want to recap so you know how everything turned out. I found an independent AC dealer that gives free estimates. He also recommended that we get the right motor and said I can install it and he will hook up the wires for free.

This is were it gets good. I really got ripped off from the first guy. To start with, it turns out that with the first motor it didn't push any breeze out of the top, but sucked in in. So when I replaced the motor and the new motor did the same thing I thought it was right. Turns out the first guy wired the motor wrong when he put in the capacitor. In addition we put a single capacitor on and left the dual. The other side of the capacitor was shot also. The new guy ordered the exact copacitor I need. He said, that the way it was, it could have burned up the condenser. In addition, he looked in the attic and added a 1/2 pound of freon all for $65.00.

I called the first company and they said it would be another $75.00 service call to have the tech come out to see if he thought he made a mistake. Any guess as to what he would say? I'm thinking of calling my credit card company to dispute the first companies charge. It there any other action I can take? BBB? Contractors board? Thanks for the info on the parts cost. Here in California it is expensive to live, but I find more than our share of companies that will rip off the unsupecting. A family friend in Idaho was appalled at the price and my service difficulties.

Lastly, the second service tech blew out the primary condensation line. The overflow was what was dripping I found out. He recommended I pour 3 cups of bleach in the primary and follow up with a gallon of water an hour later. Your thoughts? What algecide do you recommend? I have it for the pool?

Thanks for answering so quick- this is a great message board-thank you!

Old 08-30-03, 09:57 PM
donquixote
Visiting Guest

The new motor it has diffent RPM = to less CFM. Better get the same motor.

Old 08-31-03, 09:20 AM
glad you found

somebody honest. be sure to tell all your friends about him,

Old 08-31-03, 10:37 AM
Thumbs up A good hvac GUY

Hey See if you cant sell some AC jobs for that good guy. I would call the credit card company NOW and dispute that other bill. Also call the BBB there and tell them. ED

Old 08-31-03, 12:20 PM
small claims court

take your dispute to small claims court and have the judge put in his two cents...I think you'll get yours back!
Have a statement of the wrong rotation of the fan motor in the invoice of the new contractor due to improper installation of the first contractor. This will tip the balance in your favor...a run cap in the Johnstone catalog is $10.00 or less...his cost. Labor is the primary charge...It has to be! How long did he take?