Central Air Blower won't shut off

Old 08-29-03, 08:57 PM
Jonny Street
Visiting Guest
Central Air Blower won't shut off

I have a three zone system, a thermostat on each floor and a main selector switch for heat, a/c, fan or off. The switch itself also has an auto or on switch. My problem is the blower won't shut off, unless I turn off the emergency switch.

Does anybody have any ideas and the procedure to check it.

Thanks, Jonny

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blower

Could be that the blower relay for the emergency heat is stuck.You can try when its running and should be off as you say. Take and hit the side of the blower unit hard with your hand and see if that will turn it off. why do you have the emergency heat on now is it cold there ? I do take it that this is a heat pump You could start also by pulling the R wire off one tstat at a time and see if its in them. ED

Old 08-30-03, 10:30 AM
Jonny Street
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding Ed, I whacked it but still nothing. Currently I'm running my A/C when this problem occured. I've already checked the tsat and they all seem fine. After reading your note I switched to heat and chilled my tsat so the gas would kick on. The heat stopped, but the blower never did.

Do you know if this relay can be swap out? Jonny

Old 08-30-03, 11:47 AM
blower

If you pull the R wire off all of the tstat's this should tell us if its in the tstat's or down in the relay. If its the relay you can find one for it. As a swap out cant say. You just have to ring this unit out to find out the relay that can be stuck on. If thats it ED

Old 08-31-03, 02:41 PM
T87

most likely you have a round honeywell mercury thermostat...if so, kill the power to the furnace, loosen the three screws at about 4, 6 & 8 O'clock and the thermostat will come off the sub base. Loosen the Rc and Rh red wire connection sometimes there is only an R terminal, sometimes the red wire is connected to bothe the Rc and Rh terminal. do this to all three stats. power up the furnace. if the fan starts the thermostats are OK. start there.