HVAC Fan not running

Old 08-31-03, 04:35 PM
ptfougere
Visiting Guest
Wink HVAC Fan not running

I have central heat and air. The outside compressor is working, but the inside fan will not operate. system is about 30 years old. The fan plugs into an outlet next to the system in the closet. There is a screw-in fuse above the plug. The outlet works, but the fan will not work.
any help will be appreciated,
Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-03, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

Turn the outside unit off till you get the inside fan running ok. Did you try and turn the fan on at the tstat. Does the fan run if you go over and have the heat come on? Read post #2 need more info. ED

Old 08-31-03, 08:44 PM
ptfougere
Visiting Guest
Re: A/C

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
Turn the outside unit off till you get the inside fan running ok. Did you try and turn the fan on at the tstat. Does the fan run if you go over and have the heat come on? Read post #2 need more info. ED
Thanks Ed.

The fan will not come on even when I just turn on the fan switch, with heat and A/C off, which we used to be able to do.

Old 09-01-03, 09:22 AM
A/C

You have to find out then if the blower motor is bad or the blower motor capacitor is bad if it has one on this 30 year old or it can be the blower relay. You have to look and test out. First here the fan dont come on at fan on ok. Now go to heat and call for heat,lets see if the blower will come on this way. ED

Old 09-01-03, 01:11 PM
ptfougere
Visiting Guest
Re: A/C

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
You have to find out then if the blower motor is bad or the blower motor capacitor is bad if it has one on this 30 year old or it can be the blower relay. You have to look and test out. First here the fan dont come on at fan on ok. Now go to heat and call for heat,lets see if the blower will come on this way. ED
Ed: I fired up the heater. Once the heater reached operating temperture it shut off because the fan did not start up. There is a definite humming noise comming from the fan area, even though everything is off. I'm sure the system is trying to start the fan. Any further instructions? The system is a Day&Night from the early seventies. I know a new once would be much more economical. I have the heater checked every couple of years by our local gas company.

Terry

Old 09-01-03, 01:34 PM
blower motor

That should tell us its for sure the blower motor. So see if its just the capacitor If you can when it is trying to start spin the blades of the blower and it run its the capacitor. look out for your hands if you do this. If it dont start its the motor itself. turn power off and pull the blower out to get to the motor. Mark all the wires or write it down how they go. Make sure you get the right Hp , rpm,
and it turns the right way. ED