HVAC air return

Old 09-01-03, 08:00 AM
Joe Barteck
Visiting Guest
Question HVAC air return

I am getting ready to build a new house and can't find any books devoted to the HVAC system locally. Anyway, I have read that to be most efficient, one should use a cold air return that is near the ceiling during the summer months and a cold air return that is near the floor during the winter months. This seems rather easy to do if I could only find the ducting that fits in a wall. I am finding it very difficult to find any parts literature locally. Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-03, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct work

Dont know where you are or what the codes there call for.So look them up ok. Most of the time you dont need duct work in the walls for the cold air return at all. You dont say if this is overhead or over a basement. But think this way. If in the basement you would run duct work over to a joist, pan the joist in over to where the wall is above. cut out the wall plate so its open to the stude space above. Ok drywall the rooms. Now cut out the wall just above the base board say for a 6"X14" reg. one that has the big damper on it. Then what ever, we put them about 6'6" off the floor another 6"X14"grill no damper in the same stud space.Then when you want to cold air off the floor you open that bottom reg and the damper blocks the top intake. When you want the cold air from the top grill you just close the bottom grill and the air return is high in the room. Put a cold air return in all the rooms it helps a lot for a better job of heat and cool.If in the attic just turn it around. As I said check codes for where you are. If you do have to use duct for this we use the 3 1/4 x10 "or 12" or 14" this fits in a wall studs ED

Old 09-01-03, 09:02 AM
Joe Barteck
Visiting Guest
Re: HVAC air return

Originally posted by Joe Barteck
I am getting ready to build a new house and can't find any books devoted to the HVAC system locally. Anyway, I have read that to be most efficient, one should use a cold air return that is near the ceiling during the summer months and a cold air return that is near the floor during the winter months. This seems rather easy to do if I could only find the ducting that fits in a wall. I am finding it very difficult to find any parts literature locally. Help?

Old 09-01-03, 09:07 AM
Joe Barteck
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed

I understand everything you said except I am not familiar with a register that has a big damper. Can you explain? As I said in my previous query, I am having a hard time to find componets for the ducting that I need. Is there a catalog that I can get that will show these? Thanks again

Joe

Old 09-01-03, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
COLD AIR

You just have to look and ask around there. The register you want for the bottom one here is a cheepo one. On the back of it is like just one piece of metal and this is the damper for it to open or close.So when you open it up it will just about close off that stud space and get the air from the floor when you close it the air will come from the outher grill.
try this www.aircondex.com/ductwork

www.llbuildingproduct.com

ED

Old 09-01-03, 10:38 AM
Joe Barteck
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed