New Furnace

Old 09-02-03, 12:23 PM
bkatoch
Visiting Guest
New Furnace

My wife and I had a cottage built in 1992 with electric baseboard heat installed. It also has a fireplace with a blower attachment. The place was built on a five foot crawl space.
We've been talking about having a gas or propane furnace installed because we use the cottage almost all year long. Heating with baseboard heat can get kinda expensive depending on how many times we go up there in the winter time.
Also lately we've noticed a musty smell permeating throughout the house. The crawl gets pretty damp in the spring and the joists get really moist and drippy. I'm hoping having a furnace installed will alleviate the problem.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-02-03, 01:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
crawl way

For one go to http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/insu...cts/index.html
For the crawl way you should have all the vents closed . Put a 6 mil poly on the ground with 2' overlap tape all the seams go up the walls 2' also. Put 2" polystyrene on all the walls up to the floor joist. Cut blocks of R19 insulation to fit the joist space there up on the sill plate and put it in all around on the sill plate. If you have insulation in the joist now get it out of there.

Yes I would put the furnace down there dont foget you have to get a flue out of there. Or you could put it in a closet and blow down with it. If you dont put in an AC here get a dehumidifier for down there in the summer to help out ,if need be.
ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: