Lazy Radiator

Old 01-23-00, 02:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Experiencing my first winter in my newly purchased house which was built in 1940. The heating system is powered by a hot water heater which feeds steam/hot water to radiators throughout the house. The hot water heater was replaced in 1997/1998 but I do not have any maintenance records and I am assuming that the radiators are original 1940 radiators. I have 7 rooms each with a radiator. The thermostat is in the dining room which happens to be a very warm room. Directly above that is the upstairs bath which is also very warm. The other rooms are moderately warm except the living room (and one of the upstairs bedrooms tends to be cold as well). The radiator in these rooms is cold to the touch most of the time. It almost seems as though the living room radiator is the last to kick on & only them does it get 1/3 of the way warm. The other cold room (upstairs bedroom) only kicks on when it feels like it & then gets completely warm. I have seen other messages referring to bleeding the radiators & other comments of sediments. What tests/repairs do we need to try to get some warmth out of that living room radiator? And is there anything I can do to ensure the bedroom radiator will kick on more often? I feel I am wasting tons of money on these unproductive outputs. HELP !

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-00, 07:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem. Call a heating and cooling guy to come bleed every radiator. It gets everything in balance.