Drain Hot water baseboard heat

Old 09-05-03, 06:09 AM
rtb
Visiting Guest
Drain Hot water baseboard heat

I have baseboard hot water heat with an oil burner and 4 zones. The 4 Honeywell zoned valves are at the return side of the boiler. Below the 4 valves is a drain valve, below that a pipe leads to the base of the boiler where there is an additional drain valve before it goes through the boiler. At the top of the boiler the pipe leads through an American Air Purger which has to taps. One goes to an Extrol presurized expansion pipe and the other tap feeds to the four zones. When I manually open the zoned valves and the drain valve just below the 4 zoned valves, only a little water comes out (from the small amout of piping feeding from the zoned valves to the drain valve.) I checked the rooms and did not find any other air valves. I'm guessing that the water can't come out due to vacumm pressure. How do I drain the pipes and once done is there anything special I need to do when refilling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-03, 06:33 AM
I would not drain it unless your going to open the system for some reason.

Old 09-05-03, 06:58 AM
rtb
Visiting Guest
I need to drain the system so I can add another zone.

Old 09-05-03, 07:02 AM
Are there any unions anywhere at the output of the boiler that you could open to break the vacuum? Or will the purger unthread?

Old 09-05-03, 08:24 AM
boiler

Did you look at all the baseboards and see if any of them have a small bleeder valve on them that you can open? Or take the small screw out to let air in.Dont know the layout but could you cut the pipe where you will put this new take off in and drain the boiler this way? I take it you have turned power off to the boiler and also turned off the auto water fill ED