Heating Duct types -which one is better?

Old 09-09-03, 07:20 PM
mjoshi
Visiting Guest
Heating Duct types -which one is better?

Hi,

I am getting 6 heating ducts replaced for my home in Belmont, CA (san Francisco Bay Area). We moved into this house approx a year ago.

The ductwork runs through the crawl space of the house. the original duct work of the house got corroded out because of water accumulation in the crawl space (a problem that has been fixed by installing a french drain around the house).

3 contractors have quoted me 2 different materials for the duct work and I need help deciding which one to go with:

a) Regular flex material: the one with a nylon mesh+insulation wrapped in plastic

b) Aluminum flex (Wrapped with insulation and plastic).

option (b) is more expensive then (a) (approx 1K more overall).

the person recommending (b) said that the regular flex is more appropriate for attics but not for crawl spaces. For crawl spaces, aluminum flex is better cause rats/mice cant get into it as easily as they can with regular flex material. Also, in the case that they get in, the cost of replacing a peice of aluminum flex is far cheaper than the regular flex.

However, the other 2 contractors who quoted me the work @ regular flex said that the above is not an issue.

I am confused as to who is right and which material I should choose.

Please help!

Mahesh

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-03, 08:24 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aluminum flex is better cause rats/mice cant get into it as easily as they can with regular flex material. Also, in the case that they get in, the cost of replacing a peice of aluminum flex is far cheaper than the regular flex.
I would consider the likelihood that this would occur as part of deciding that this would justify the costs of the material on this basis alone.

Old 09-10-03, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ducwork

We put in all metal duct work and pipe in the crawl way. Not as much drag as with the flex. Also put some small out lets and a return there for heat and cool down there and it will be dry and warm . Works like a heat sink. Look at
taunton.com/finehomebuildingpages/h00107.asp
or http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/insu...ks&facts/index

We put down a 6mil poly over lap it 2' and up the wall 2' tape all seams. 2" polystyre on the wall up to the joist and put blocks of R-19 in all the joist space on the sill plate all around the rim of the home. no vents.

What you did out side is a big help. Are your gutters good and help get the water away from the home also. ED My .02 cents