mystery glitches in gas furnace

Old 02-17-00, 01:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

somehow our gas-fired furnace stopped working. so i tried to inspect the furnace and found nothing useful. so i turn it back on according to procedure. then now the heater is still not working but fan (blower) is on continuously now. it won't listen to my thermostat. i tried two new thermostats and they didn't change anything either. i cleaned the filters too (and they were dirty) and that didn't work. so now, the condition of the furnace is that everytime when i turn it on, nothing except the fan is running and the fan won't shut off.
please help. i have a automated ignition so i don't have to light it manually (i think, since installation and operation instruction never mentions lighting it and when the thermostat is set, check the pilot)

[This message has been edited by lcephas (edited February 17, 2000).]

Old 02-17-00, 08:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:lcephas

Based on your furnace problem discription, I doubt the thermostat is the problem.

Since you have changed that out several times already, try this:

Remove the T-Stat totally. <Just wires hanging out of the wall.> Put the furnaces wall plug back into the electrical outlet. If the fan begins running, it's NOT the T-Stat causing this problem.

Next, <before you re-install the T-Stat> while the blower fan IS running, with your hand smack the furnace cabinet with a medium hit. This should stop that blower. <You may need to do this trick on several different areas.>

If this stops the blower, the FAN switch was stuck shut and will need to be replaced.

If this fails to turn the fan motor off, try disconnecting the T-Stat wires from the furnace terminal block, one wire at a time.

If you find a wire that turns the furnace OFF, the wires are shorted and will need to be repaired or replaced.

<This wire trick must be done with CAUTION. Take one wire off and re-install it does not turn the furnace OFF.>

Another trick with wires is to hand draw, on paper, their locations prior to removal. If you do this you can remove all the wires at once without re-installing the incorrectly.

All else fails, contact your local heating repair contractor or gas utility company for a service call.

Good Luck,
Tom

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-17-00, 10:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i haven't had time to try that yet, but what about the problem with no heat?

Old 02-18-00, 05:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Dear:lcephas

In reply to your second posting:

Granted, I missed that part regarding the heater not working and I focused in on the blower not turning off.

<In all honesty, I did have to re read your posting several times, just to get all the symptoms you wrote in one huge convoluted ball of a letter.>

The below posting is not mented to offend nor degrade you nor your abilities nor those of others who may also read this posting.

The simple hard and cold facts of the modern day electronic ignition furnaces <including many other household electronically controlled or operated products> is they are NOT ment to be fixed by the homeowner. Period.

It does take specific product and brand knowledge, skills, tools, expierence and talents of the trade to diagnose and repair malfunctions and non operational problems with electronic spark ignition units.

By design, these units work well, when they work and are far more superior when compared to those of years ago. However, again by design, they are also highly complex units for any non expierenced person to even contemplate, let alone attempt, any repairs.

The best and most honest suggestion to you that I could make, is contact your local gas utility or service agency for those needed repairs.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: