air conditioner coils

Old 03-04-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Is it possible to clean the coils in an air conditioner yourself or is it necessary to have the coils cleaned by a professional? I had an estamate of $800 to have this process done. I am assuming I need to have this done as my air conditioner emits the ordor of mildew when running.
Thank you for your help.
Sharon

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-00, 12:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Sharon, its a job that can be done but the chemicals would be hared for you to get ahold of...$800.00?????? thats kinda steep...I preform this service along with my annual check up...and it is far less then that...what you can do is turn off power, im taking it as being a cental system, and take a regular garden type sprayer and mix some top job with warm water maybe a 1/4 cup to 1 gal..remove the cover ( panel ) or cut a piece out of the duct, this would be done on the filter side you'll only need a 10" by 10" hole, and save this to put back in later.spray the coil area good and let sit for 5 min. spray again and you will see the dirt wash away. now this is very important! useing clear water flush the coil well two or three times...then let it sit for 1/2 hour or more to kinda dry out... it you start it up right after doing this you could pull water in to the fan motor and short it out... at least once a month try spraying Lysol in the return this will help to control the smells and retard the growth of mold and mildew.

Bob
Moyer's Heating & Air