CLEANING 2 LEVEL HEAT/AIR VENTS

Old 03-04-00, 10:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a two story with basement home, with 2 heat/air systems (gas basement & heat pump upstairs and outside). We've lived in this home 6 of 11 years, and the offwhite carpeting has been becoming a gray color around the edges in the upstairs rooms. Also the graber pleated blinds have also turned from white to a light gray. (I vacuum every week, and have had the carpets cleaned....still comes back).

What is causing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-00, 01:07 PM
Visiting Guest
this problem can come from dirty air filter, smoking in the home, burning candles, dirty coils on A/C... over the years dirty clings to the inside of ducts, and the coils get dirty due to being damp in the summer when your useing A/C.... this dirty give a perfect place for the mold and mildew to grow. as it drys in the winter when your using heat, it flakes off and comes out as small dust and since its darker then whats its landing on and very fine it will dis color carpet, curtins. try using a better grade filter and have the coils cleaned on the units. change the filters once a month and spray lysol in the return to help control the mold and mildew.

Bob
Moyer's Heating & Air

Old 03-04-00, 01:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for your information; since we don't smoke it is good to hear that there may be other causes.

Question: in addition to cleaning the coils as you stated before, should we get an AC company to clean all the duct work? And, if so, is the portable unit better than the trucks with the white bags and long hose. What about brushes versus air snakes or sweepers? I have been told it would cost $495 - $1,000 to clean my 2 system home. And, some state it would take between 1 1/2 hours to 6 hours to accomplish this task... not sure if I would get taken to the "cleaners" on this project?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-00, 09:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:hurricane

Based soley on the information you posted, your correct. The company that gave you such wide spreads both in costs and labor time for doing this job, it seems apparent to me they would be cleaning you and your check book out more then the ducting.

In my opinion, something is wrong here. This wide a spread of cost alone is unexceptable.

Either the company people, for some unexplainable reason, can't estimate the job costs and time correctly, the job is far more complicated then it appears or they just aren't too professional.

I suggest you get several other estimates before proceeding with this project.

Good Luck

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-05-00, 06:12 AM
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hurricane:
Thanks for your information; since we don't smoke it is good to hear that there may be other causes.

Question: in addition to cleaning the coils as you stated before, should we get an AC company to clean all the duct work? And, if so, is the portable unit better than the trucks with the white bags and long hose. What about brushes versus air snakes or sweepers? I have been told it would cost $495 - $1,000 to clean my 2 system home. And, some state it would take between 1 1/2 hours to 6 hours to accomplish this task... not sure if I would get taken to the "cleaners" on this project?

Thanks.
[/QUOTE
I myself have not gotten into duct cleaning, the cost of the equipment is costly, I have seen where ducts have been cleaned using the portable unit and i was not impressed! I have done some looking in to the trailer mounted unit ( with the long hose and white bags ). and the prices you where given on the high end i would say are about right from what the manuf. claims. cost of equipment, labor, etc... this has to be looked at too!... something i wanted to ask was, is this marking of the carpet around the vents or the whole edge of the room?

[This message has been edited by R-12guy (edited March 05, 2000).]

Old 03-05-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
The gray markings around the edges of the rooms, hallway, closets.... and if I were to take down the curtains, you would be able see the pattern of the curtain in the graber pleated shades.

Upstairs we have vents in the ceiling; the ground floor has vents in the floor, of which there is only 1 room carpeted (grey is only on one wall nearest the vent.

I've been told that because this house was built first, that it must have had alot of dirt in the air system due to the additional construction in the area. As this is only one possibility, I don't want to waste my $500 - $1,000 on cleaning vents that don't need it. However, this house is 11 years old and I'm not versed in how often one cleans vents. Thanks for your help in this matter. Deb

Old 03-06-00, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Deb, i think what you ned to do is get some one else in there and take a look at the whole picture, with out tracing out the whole system and looking at it my self , we are only pulling at straws. there is something going on there , and in a sealed house i dont see how all the dirt from the other construction could of caused this problem.

Old 03-07-00, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Tom,

Additional question...

I've noticed that the very large registers in the walls and ceiling (intake vents I assume) have alot of grey dust on them also. Does this mean I have a bigger problem within my heat/air system?

We use the more expensive filters vice the real cheap ones...

Deb

Old 03-07-00, 07:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi: Deb

Those large registers are the intakes. The dust that is collecting on them is an indication the dust is in your area, which is getting into your home.

The filters are also keeping this dust from entering your heaters ducting. The filters are doing the job, as intended.

Excessive house dust is then caused by the construction generated airborn dust in the area's around your home are then the most likely cause. Nothing unusual is happening.

<Had this very same problem in this house several years ago.>

Best thing you can do, until the construction ends, is change or clean the filters as often as needed.

You should also be noticing some of this dust collecting on the furniture and walls.

Make the best of this situation while the construction is still underway. Once the wood cutting and other construction activities have ended, so to will your excessive dust condition.

Best Of Luck,
TomBatco

Old 03-08-00, 06:19 PM
Visiting Guest
A couple of the large intake register grates are held in place by about 12 screws (vice a hinge), and therefore lack the ability to use filters. Is this normal?

I may have confused you... the construction in my immediate neighborhood was completed about 6 years ago... I would assume then, based on your previous information, that I should get someone out to clean the vents?

Thanks in advance, Deb.

Old 03-08-00, 07:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:hurricane

In my opinion, there seems to be far too much confusion over a simple problem.

Since the area construction is completed, there may be lots of residual dust collected in the ducting. Your house just may be in a dusty area. There could be lots of other possibilities causing the problem.

The dust you see on the outside grill of the intake registers can be cleaned with the ordinary vacuum cleaner and the small round brush attachment or a dampened cleaning cloth.

If the filters are NOT located behind these registers, then they are located at the end of the intake air tube just before the furnace.

What your really need to do here is contact your local heating company. Have a professional evaluate the situation, service the A/C unit as discribed by R-12 and either clean the ducting or recommend a qualified company that can.

TomBartco