furnace won't turn on, pilot won't stay lit

Old 03-06-00, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

WHEN I WOKE UP THIS MORNING, MY FURNACE WASN'T WORKING. I CHECKED THE PILOT AND IT WASN'T LIT. AFTER LIGHTING IT, I TURNED THE FURNACE BACK ON AND TURNED UP THE THERMOSTAT. I HEARD THE FLAMES COME ON IN THE FURNACE, BUT THE BLOWER NEVER CAME ON. AFTER ABOUT A MINUTE I CHECKED THE PILOT AND IT WAS OUT AGAIN. HAVE REPEATED THE PROCEDURE 3 TIMES TO THE SAME RESULT

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-00, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
sounds like the thermocoupling is bad.

Old 03-06-00, 08:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:mehansen

It does sound like the thermocouple is burned out. If the pilot is yellow looking, it may only be a linted pilot assembly.

Contact your local gas supplier. Natural gas suppliers offer an in home service for most minor cleanings and adjustments. A yellowed pilot and or a thermocouple replacement falls into this service.

It may also be a defective mag head too. The gas suppliers service rep. should be able to check that too. However, not all companies replace those.

If your handy, you can replace the thermocouple yourself. Look for the tubular part that the pilot heats. Some are copper colored. Remove and replace that part exactly as it is currently install with the new one.

If that was the problem your furnace is fixed. If not, call the utility company for service.

Post back the results.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-11-00, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Just wanted to say "Thanks". Your advice saved me a $40+ service call to replace my thermocouple. Took me all of 10 minutes and $5.00!