Heat Pump Air Conditioning Leak

Old 09-12-03, 05:37 PM
eyemakeupneeded
Visiting Guest
Heat Pump Air Conditioning Leak

I have a Carrier 50 QT through the wall heat pump unit. About three weeks ago I discovered am air conditioning leak due to a clog in the unit. I called a service company who was to have fixed the clog. I wonder if the service man knew fixed the leak. Now it has been a severe rain storm today, and it was a rather cool day in the early part of September so I turned the air conditioning completely off . I went into the closet with the heat pump inside and found the drywall which is on the wall leading to the outside wall completely wet on one side. The overflow was very full. Did the service man really take care of the leak due to the clog or is there a crack in the outside wall with water coming into the room from the rainstorm? There have been numerous rainstorms since the time the service man came out and I never noticed the drywall being wet before. What do you think?

Old 09-15-03, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
When you say overflow do you mean the evaperator condensate tray? The one that under the cooling coil.

If so, the drain is likely still plugged.

Old 09-15-03, 12:59 PM
eyemakeupneeded
Visiting Guest
You were absolutely right. The technician who came out with the first HVAC company I called asked me for a coat hanger to clean that part. The second company I called was of the same opinion you were but used a professional tool. They blew nitrogen through the drain hole to unclog it. Lots and lots of stuff came out. I think that companies will hire technicians of varying capabilities and are unaware that they might be engaging in unprofessional practices, to say the least. I have had other companies come out to fix a leak and they always used air to blow out the lines. I do not know why I did not raise the issue of why the first technician was using a wire coat hanger to do this, but I had no sleep for a whole night, while I waited for the technician to come so I wasn't very together. Thanks for your reply, though. You were right. The second company is the one I am sticking with for now.

Old 09-15-03, 05:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coat hanger?!?!? did he think he was a plumber?? i always blow out the drain if there a service call of any kind on the unit, especially if there is a P trap. i charge a coule of bucks for it, but it reduces future drain problems.

Old 09-16-03, 07:51 AM
eyemakeupneeded
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. We have a lot of contractors in all fields in this area who do not know what they are doing. It is very scary. The second contractor told me to pour a diluted solution of clorox and water into the drain lines once a month to keep them free of algae. The unit is made of galvanized material. Is this good advice?

Old 09-16-03, 10:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C

Yes they told you right. But Id say just 1 or 2 times a year when the AC is running. Dont forget to keep a clean air filter in it also ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: