oil furnace will not stay on

Old 03-25-00, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
My furnace will cycle on, burner fires, runs for 30 seconds and shuts down. I have replaced the nozzle, re-set the electrodes, replaced the fuel filter, checked the chimney for blockage, return air also. This is a mobile home type furnace with the combustion air being drawn thru the outside of the exhaust chimney. I have changed the control module, cleaned the flame eye, exchanged the transformer. What's next?

Old 03-25-00, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
try pulling the roof jack off,,,, if the furnace has some age on it, the chimney pipe which will be a 5" pipe in side the big pipe more then likely has a hole in it. and the combustion air needed for the proper combustion is hot flue gases. thus once it fires, it gets no fresh air and shuts down. have you tried looking at the fire while its running?, does it fade out and get rather dule and smokey? feel free to write back.
Bob
Moyer's Heating & Air

Old 01-15-08, 06:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil furnace trouble

I live in a double wide. It has a coleman oil furnace. It will only run about 3 weeks before it quits.The burner will not ignite and it trips the controler.I replace the nozzle and it will refire.I found the origannel nozzle that the tech replaced and its different than what is being used now.I replaced the transformer,fire sensor and controller. the problem still is there. I dont know how to check adjustments on the electrods or set the nozzle depth. any info would be appricitive.

Old 01-15-08, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Coleman

Especially if this furnace has a Wayne burner, remove the nozzle assembly & look down the burner tube. You may see a ring of carbon attached to the far side of the end cone. If you do, just use a long screwdriver to poke it off. Beckett burners will do this too but Wayne is notorious for it.

The electrodes should be set as follows: 1/16 - 1/8" in front of the nozzle face, 7/16" above the center of the nozzle, & have a gap of 1/8" between them. These settings will work either for a Wayne or Beckett burner. On a Beckett, the face of the nozzle should be 1 1/8" back from the OUTSIDE face of the end cone. You will need to pull the burner to check this. I've misplaced my info on Wayne.

Old 01-16-08, 02:55 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coleman fyrnace

Grady,
Thanks for the info. I set the electrodes to the specs that you gave me. I do have a wayne burner. The settings were way off. Should I replace the electrodes at the end of this season? The furnace is 10 years old. I set the nozzle deapth at the factory setting. How is the best way to adjust the air dampner?What all should I do to get the furnace ready for next season?
Thanks Grubby

Old 01-16-08, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Electrodes

With a Wayne, I suggest at least having a spare set on hand. Wayne porcelains will crack if you look at them crosseyed. Regarding flame adjustment, this is something best left to an experienced service person.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: