Help

Old 09-15-03, 08:11 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
Help

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a question.

I have just started renting a home that has central ac and heat. My question, is the big unit that sits outside in the back, does that have to be covered or something during the winter months. Is there any sort of preparation that I must do to the unti before winter sets in?

I could really use some help as I have never had to central ac unti before and dont know anything about them.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-15-03, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

The outdoor unit of the A/C is made to set out side all the time.
You can turn the power off to the outside unit. Hose down the coils there to wash them out. Some people put a cover over the top to keep the snow out but you dont have to. If you do make sure you take it off before you turn it on next year.

You didnt say if this was a heatpump or not .If so dont cover it at all and let the power on.

You do want to look inside and put a new air filter in the unit there.A new filter every 30 to 90 days when the unit runs.Most motors for the blowers there dont have oil ports on them any more so you can forget that ED

Old 09-15-03, 08:49 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
From what I understand it also runs the heat as well. I just wasn't sure if it had to be covered so the snow would not get in it. As I said, I really know nothing about central air or heat.

How would I change the filter and where is it located. Also since it does control the heat as well is there anything that I have to do in the basement or should it be already set up for the heat already?

I really appreciate your help. The landlord knows nothing about his central air unit. He is a very old man that bought another home.

Any help and/or advice is very appreciated. I do know that the thermostat unit is a White-Rogers digital

Old 09-15-03, 09:17 AM
HEAT PUMP

Ok if this is a heat pump and everything works ok just turn the tstat from cool to heat is all . Dont put any cover on the unit outside.Also when the temp and the humidity is just right outside in the winter and the unit goes into defrost. You will see like smoke comeing up from the outdoor unit Its not ,just steam is all.

Now the air filter you have to look for it. It can be behind the cold air return grill like if you have just one big one. Or in the duct work at or by the bower unit.sometime you can see it and just pull it out other times you have to take off a cover to get to it. When you do find it just look at the size and get some so you can keep a clean one in it every 30 to 90 days or so. ED

Old 09-15-03, 09:22 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
heat pump

Thanks Ed,

So the filter should be right outside somewhere inside that big unit correct? So I do not have to switch anything down in the basement, right?

Is there anything else that I should know about.

I have another question (don't mean to be a pain sorry in advance)

Each room has some sort of radiator type thing that has a switch on it ranging from fan to high. My question is, do I have to turn those on so the heat and or air also comes out of that as well.

There was no manual in the house for this system.

Thank you

Old 09-15-03, 09:29 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
I was told that the house had forced heat, if that answers anything

Old 09-15-03, 09:35 AM
Re: heat pump

So the filter should be right outside somewhere inside that big unit correct? So I do not have to switch anything down in the basement, right?

The filter should be in the duct work or unit down there in the basement not out side.

I have another question OK

Each room has some sort of radiator type thing that has a switch on it ranging from fan to high. My question is, do I have to turn those on so the heat and or air also comes out of that as well.

Lost here???? do you mean registers like where the hot and cool air comes out of?????

ED

Old 09-15-03, 09:40 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
not sure how to describe it. they sort of look like some sort of radiator except they have a little thing that you open on top and inside of that compartment there is a switch that says fan, low, med, high

when you turn it on, air comes through it but not like the central air though, it just feels like cool air.

So if I am understanding you correctly, the filter is down in the basement somewhere.

I also just remember that there is some sort of big ass unit in the attic, dont know if they are associated at all. I am sorry that I am driving you batty.

Old 09-15-03, 10:24 AM
Heat and AC

Its Ok is just what you call something and what we call something its hard to find out what is what. So you have a unit outside a big unit in the basement and a unit in the attic. With a radiator like thing in each room that has a fan high and low on them.Are they like a small window AC?

I think with what you have said here . You should call a hvac tech and have them go over all of this and show you how it all works and where what is. I think the guy you are renting this from should pay the bill if he cant show you how it all works. ED

Old 09-15-03, 10:29 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
I will be speaking with the landlord, the units in the room are about the size of a radiator (length and width wise)

Is it expensive to have a hvac guy come there?

Really thank you for all of your help, I really do appreciate it

Old 09-15-03, 11:18 AM
Find out

Dont know where you are at.So cost for a tech is hard to say. But just for a run down on what you have and say service the unit $50. ---$75 if everything is in working order. At the same time you want to find out where the breakers for everything in the home are AND also find out where you can turn the water off to the home if need be ED

Old 09-15-03, 11:21 AM
bebita
Visiting Guest
i am in new jersey. I will look into it and start getting some rates. I did find out where the circuit breakers were but still must find out where to shut off the water. We still haven't moved in yet but i am checking it all out before we do on 10/1/03

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: