10 Seer Ruud or 12 seer Payne?

Old 09-18-03, 07:25 PM
10 Seer Ruud or 12 seer Payne?

Ok...was quoted the same price for these systems...but I am leaning towards the Ruud system...not strickly on brand name, but I feel that the installer will do a better job (heat load calc, written estimates that include everything covered, etc...).

It's a heat pump going into a basement in Atlanta GA...and I just don't know if the payback for the two different systems warrant me going with a higher seer rating at all...

I figured it would take around 5 years before it starts paying for itself ($1000 difference)...and then start saving money from there forward...but don't really know for sure if I will be here that long.

Am I on the right track?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-03, 06:11 AM
I'd go with the contractor you trust the most. If he took the time to do a heat load calculation and recomend 10 seer over 12 ask him how much more to go with 12 seer. One thing I like about the higher seer units besides the energy savings you're usually getting a better quality unit. The condennsor is usually made of heavier gauge metal and they come equipted with safety switches such as high and low pressure cut offs.

Old 09-19-03, 06:24 AM
HEAT PUMP

You dont say how old you are ---- BUT--- We find that a 12 seer comes out about the best , for pay back to most of the people.Like matt said go with the one you trust ED

Old 09-20-03, 04:26 AM
Re: HEAT PUMP

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
You dont say how old you are ---- BUT--- We find that a 12 seer comes out about the best , for pay back to most of the people.Like matt said go with the one you trust ED
How old I am? What in the wild world of sports has to do with the price ot tea in China?

I guess I am worried that since it's going into the basement, that it wont be on as much...and will take a lot longer to show the savings.

What makes a 12 SEER system more efficient than a 10 SEER system? Does a 10 SEER system run longer? If so, would I be better off with a 10 SEER in the basement to remove moisture?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-20-03, 08:53 AM
You say it's going into a basement.... Does this statement mean this is the only area you are conditioning with this unit or this is going to be the physical location of the unit?

The differance between the 10 and 12 seer is not run time but efficiancy of the equipment. Actually longer run time is better because you will remove more humidity that way.

Old 09-20-03, 09:01 AM
A/C

How old I am? What in the wild world of sports has to do with the price ot tea in China?

Well if you have the $$$$$$ to put out before you get the return ok. Then lets go for a good unit we have for a SEER of 19.50. Look at all the power you can save. Also it has the new R-410 a freon so you will be good past 2030.

Like matt said Its not the run time of a unit .Its the BTU output of a unit for the Kilowatt -Hr's that they use .

So if your "not to old "you could see a pay back on up to a 19.50 high SEER. ED

Old 09-21-03, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by mattison
You say it's going into a basement.... Does this statement mean this is the only area you are conditioning with this unit or this is going to be the physical location of the unit?

The differance between the 10 and 12 seer is not run time but efficiancy of the equipment. Actually longer run time is better because you will remove more humidity that way.
Yes...the heat pump is to heat the basement.

Old 09-21-03, 05:06 AM
Re: A/C

Well if you have the $$$$$$ to put out before you get the return ok. Then lets go for a good unit we have for a SEER of 19.50. Look at all the power you can save. Also it has the new R-410 a freon so you will be good past 2030.

Like matt said Its not the run time of a unit .Its the BTU output of a unit for the Kilowatt -Hr's that they use .

So if your "not to old "you could see a pay back on up to a 19.50 high SEER. ED
Don't you mean if I will stay in the house for 40 years to recoup the costs for such a system?

I appreciate your advice...just don't understand the age question. I mean...I am 36...but that doesn't mean that I will stay in the house longer than 5 or 10 years.

See my point?

Thanks.

Old 09-21-03, 09:52 AM
How Old

Just know a lot of people that got a home. Just going to be in it for 1 to 5 years and then sell it . 20 years later they are still in it .
So it not so much your age as what will you get out of this home down the line is all ED

Old 09-21-03, 12:55 PM
Re: How Old

Just know a lot of people that got a home. Just going to be in it for 1 to 5 years and then sell it . 20 years later they are still in it .
So it not so much your age as what will you get out of this home down the line is all ED
That's cool...I understand.

Funny thing is, we planned on staying here until it's paid off...but you just never know. The area I am in is changing...so if they don't get the overbuilding under control, we may leave.

Old 09-21-03, 01:20 PM
Lightbulb A/C

Atlanta Ga :You should run AC a long time there. and mild winter for the heatpump side. Id go for a 12 or more SEER on that unit.
Have you been over to www.warmair.net and compare fuel cost for there. could be you could go gas for back up heat on that heatpump. ED

Old 09-21-03, 01:58 PM
rumour

I've been hearing in the field of a heatpump unit that uses a small gas flame on the outdoor unit to provide supplemental heat on cold days, have yet to see it advertised yet though.

Old 09-21-03, 07:12 PM
Re: A/C

Atlanta Ga :You should run AC a long time there. and mild winter for the heatpump side. Id go for a 12 or more SEER on that unit.
Have you been over to www.warmair.net and compare fuel cost for there. could be you could go gas for back up heat on that heatpump. ED
Well...if I were going to replace my upstairs unit, I would install a 14-15 SEER heat pump with a gas auxilary...but this is going into the basement where the temperature is fairly constant...so I am not sure the higher efficient unit will pay off.

Thanks